Chapter Seven

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, but I'll update again as soon as possible. Thank you all for all the support and just generally reading my writing <3

Annabeth's POV:

The second we walked into my room, Piper started bombarding me with questions about Percy and I. It was awkward explaining that I'd been fired and evicted by my mother, and Percy had been my first thought on who to go to, even though we did barely know each other as anything but make out buddies. It sort of made me sick that make out buddies was all Percy and I were to each other until yesterday. I mean, of course, I'd thought about befriending Percy over the years, but it can be hard to befriend someone that you made out with before going your separate ways for years. 

"So, are you thinking about dating Percy?" Piper asked, a slight glimmer in her eyes that scared me. "Or is this going to be a strictly roommate and occasional make out friendship thing?"

I blushed and busied myself with straightening the books that were already straight. "We're just roommates; however, I think we're becoming friends. I don't think Percy would be interested in dating me anyway."

Piper scoffed. "As if. I think anyone could see he's interested in you from a mile away." 

"Yeah, I really don't think so." I would have continued; however, Jason and Percy chose that moment to walk into the room. 

"Dang Annabeth, you did this all in one day?" Jason said while looking through my book collection. 

I nodded my head. "Yep, I would have a comforter on the bed, but when we made the blanket bed with Estelle, I brought it out to the living room."

Jason pulled a book from the shelf, They Both Die at the End. "Is this actually the ending to the book?" He looked perplexed as he opened the cover to read the summary. 

"Sort of," I answered, not wanting to give away the ending too much. "It's a really good book. You can borrow it if you want."

Jason kept the book in his hands and went to sit down next to Piper on my bed. I was sat in my desk chair, and Percy was leaning against one of the walls by the door. 

"Where's Estelle at?" Piper looked around the room as if she would pop out of somewhere. 

"She's asleep. She curled into Annabeth and fell asleep while we were watching movies," Percy replied. 

I laughed. "I think Estelle likes me way better than Seaweed Brain over here. She told me that Percy was boring and makes her watch the same movie over and over again."

Percy gawked at me. I could tell he was trying to look offended, but it didn't last long. "You wish, Wise Girl. I'll always be her favorite. And she suggests Finding Nemo like half the time."

We both laughed while Jason and Piper shared a knowing glance that made me a little uncomfortable. A knock on the door startled us all, and an exhausted looking Estelle stumbled into the room. "You are all loud. You woke me up." 

Estelle came straight to me, and I picked her up. She wrapped her legs around my torso and laid down on my shoulder.

Piper and Jason both rose from the bed. "That would be our cue to leave."

"Wow, leaving the second the kid is around. I see how it is," Percy joked. "Will you two let yourselves out?" 

"You know it," Jason said back as him and Piper left the room. 

Percy walked over to me and squatted down beside the desk chair. He started rubbing circles on Estelle's back, occasionally running his fingertips across my hand. "Hey, you wanna get back to my bed?" 

Estelle sat up a little more and leaned down to Percy. Percy picked her up effortlessly and stood up. "I'm going to go get her settled in. Do you need anything before I go to bed?" 

I shook my head and kissed Estelle on the forehead. "Go get some sleep. Both of you." 

Percy looked me in the eyes a moment longer before walking out. "Night, Wise Girl."

"Night, Seaweed Brain." I called after him. I closed my eyes for a moment after Percy left. I knew I couldn't like him, but he made it hard not to. 

I walked back out to the living room and cleaned up the blanket mess. I brought my comforter back into my room after putting the throw blankets away and laid down on my bed. 

My phone buzzed beside me. The name on the screen surprised me, Luke Castellan. I hadn't spoken to him in almost a year, not since he left New York for a job in San Francisco. I opened the message almost immediately. Luke and I had been great friends before he took off, and I was excited at the prospect of talking to him again. 

Hey Annabeth, long time no see. I just moved back to New York and was wondering if maybe you'd be interested in getting some coffee tomorrow?

I couldn't believe he was back. Luke and I had been such good friends for so long, but when he moved away a year ago, we'd just stopped talking eventually. I was excited at the idea of seeing him. Long time no see indeed. I'd love to go get coffee! The normal place tomorrow? Are you free around four?

Bubbles immediately appeared on the screen. Sounds perfect! I can't wait to see you! 

I don't understand why, but a part of me felt guilty about meeting up with Luke for coffee. I used to have such a big crush on Luke, but nothing ever happened between the two of us. I felt bad that Percy didn't know. Even when I knew it shouldn't matter whether he knew or not. 

I groaned and put my phone down on my nightstand. I needed to get out of my head for a little bit. I sat down on my desk chair and pulled out a handful of blueprints I'd begun working on. I was designing a skyscraper currently. I'd always wanted to leave some sort of mark on Manhattan and hoped to design something similar to the building I was working on at some point. The design was simple, but I tried to include small angles and lines that would add to the piece. It was the kind of building my mom would never look at, let alone design, but I didn't care about that. This was the style of building that excited me, made me want to continue working on it. 

It was nearly three in the morning by the time I'd finished adding details to the drawing. I hadn't felt tired until I put my pencil down then suddenly my eyes started to droop. I shut off the lights before getting into my bed. I turned on some quiet music to help me fall asleep and was out in a matter of minutes.