Chapter 17 : Crimson Carpet

Dekka

The ground is solid beneath me as my lungs fight with me, gasping for air.

My vision is a blurr as several sets of hands reach for me, peeling my spastic form off of the ground.

I thrash against the hands like a wild animal. Resisting every second of the way, until another pair of sturdy pale hands comes into view.

An arm slides under the backs of my knees, while another rests behind my shoulders. Scooping me off the ground, the pale figure holds me against it's chest.

My body takes over, deeming the situation safe, just as my fight gives out. Suddenly my eyelids start to droop all too soon.

A soft whisper floats through the air competing with the wind.

"Don't fight for strength. Sleeps got you, I've got you."

Ace.

The last thought I have is of his boyish smile, before I fall asleep in his arms.

Alma

I throw a cursory glance over my shoulder, checking on Ace and Dekka.

The way he's entranced by every breath she takes, makes me long for a future. A human future.

To think, not so long ago, I was all to eager to waste it.

It's as if he's read my thoughts as Jett enters my peripheral line of vision.

"H-hi" He stammers as a hand slides from the back of his neck grazing over his buz cut.

All of the ease from our endeavor earlier has seemed to melt away alongside his bravery.

Before I can overanalyze it and what it means, I slip my hand into his. Avoiding his gaze completely, he gives my hand a gentle squeeze. As if to say thank you.

I squeeze his hand back as we reach the end of the trail. With a nod of confirmation, our group leaps into a run, putting our new found speed and agility to use.

For the first time, it feels as if we are the team Dekka has been coaching us to be.

Willow

Turing into one of the many maids I've dismissed, I prepare a place for the keeper.

Once again busying myself with another thoughtless task.

My hands flutter over my reserve of supplies, grabbing one thing after the next.

A strangled curse rings out through the house. Echoing off of it's many grand walls. Waiting out the commotion, I count six pairs of feet scurrying through the house.

Dropping my armful of things, I sprint down the stairs, ending up in one of our many sitting rooms.

Alma's not far behind me as she parts through our small cowd.

Alma, quiet calculating Alma, curses.

Having had enough of the suspense I march past Odin and Quinn.

I stand at the feet of a dead body. He wears a familiar pair of black clothes. Donning a pin on his hoodie.

I shake away the growing sense of Déjà vu. Pursuing my scan of his features, I take in his fair skin, freckles, and bleach blond curls.

Struck with the realization that he's a male clone of Dekka, I almost miss the knife sticking out of his abdomen.

Looking to Dekka's sleeping form on the couch, the same shade of crimson that decorates the floor, is worn by her as well.

"F-" Mutters Odin.

"Fates" Ace says, breaking our stunned silence with the first fully coherent word.

Wait. Feeling like we're missing a huge peice to the puzzle, I scan the room for Harper.

I come up empty handed, looking to the others for a response. It's no use, I'm met with a series of shrugs.

Not sure what else to do, I take one hesitant step after another twards the body. Pushing his limp form aside, I'm able to take note of the blood.

It no longer has a fresh sheen to it, having been fully soaked into the carpet. Alerting me that it's been here for some time.

Nobody makes a move to stop me as I fold my fingers around the knife, wretching it from it's hiding place.

The tip of the knife is pulled free from his skin, as his eyes fly open to reveal a blue whirl of fire in his gaze...