Chapter 23 : Sudden Sibling

Dekka

The clanging of metal rings in my ears
throwing off my balance. Gravity takes over sending an avalanche of metal careening across the room.

My teeth feel like a handful of hard sugary candies in my mouth. As the sound waves settle so does the metal. Soon after, the shuddering starts. What first feels like a buzz escalates into a full on vibrate causing the foundation of the house to groan.

Distant voices topple over each other incoherently in a domino like fashion. Unsure of who's name should be the victim of my cursing, the words tumble from my wobbly lips. As expected, seconds after the foul words leave vowing never to return, a familiar euphoria rakes it's way across my skin.

Uncertain of when I scrunched my eyes closed, they fly open in attempts to survey the damage. Pots and pans litter the island, some going as far as creating obstacles on the floor. Combating the vibrating, my body is jostled from one corner of the kitchen to the other.
"I've got you." Ace's hushed reassurance rings more like a statement than words of comfort.

Now is not the time, Ace.

Given no choice, in addition to Ace's faulty fight or flight mechanism, I take the charge leading him to a corner by is collar.

Fates, I hadn't noticed his height until now. "Wha-"

"Shhh. Fates, Ace." Beyond uncertain of what's happening, and more uncertain of what's to come, we sit knee to knee with our backs against the cabinetry.

Waiting.

While waiting.

And waiting some more.

Counting the seconds between each major jolt, the numbers become larger as the movement fades out. Blown out like the flame of a lit candle, the shuddering groans of the estate cease all together.

This can't be over? It isn't a dispute in the weather, it can't be. This feeling feels other worldly. As if it was created on command and not born.

Several pairs of feet dash down the stairs beelineing it straight twards the kitchen. Although my hearing is aided by my immortality, it can't beguin to compare to the rang of a vampire. Maybe one of them will have caught onto something unlike awnserless Ace. Hmm, that'd make for a decent addition to his pending list of nicknames.

Quinn's long limbs reach my line of sight, followed by Odin. Sharing a conspiratorial look with me, Odin then helps an approaching Willow to the floor. To his utter satisfaction, she obliges, opening her hand to make way for his.

Three more, where are the others? Lowing my eyelids to meet each other, I greet the empty darkness of a sightless view with open salutations. Grasping my tether to the others, I gather my raw unfiltered strength to send a signal.

Or more commonly known, Dekka's distress call of doom. Without the added theatrics of footsteps, Alma and Jett appear at my booted feet.

"Everyone." The ecco of my voice brandishes everyone's attention. "If only you could learn the true meaning of a distress call." Scarce smiles and hushed laughter mingle throughout the pale bodies huddled around me.

One.

We're still missing one.

One who's failed to appear on several occasions, although I don't blame her.

Blissfully unaware of our new onlooker, my companions begin to talk amongst themselves. Sagging in relief, I allow myself to slump against the hard wood. Peering over at a too silent Ace, I catch his ram rod straight posture. Something isn't right. This guy wouldn't know danger if it looked him in the eye. Retracting my jaw to prod information from him, his voice rings like an alarm amongst bird song.

Not Ace.

Him.

Another him.

"Ahh, lovely to see you all!" He's propped on the island with one ankle crossed over another. His posture is more business than his matted blond curls.

Desmond.

"I hope that we'll be able to get past our greeting, skip introductions, and move straight on to formalities. Hopefully I won't find another knife lodged into me."

"We should have burned him when we had the chance." Odin's voice interrupts Desmonds cackle.

Really? Was that really an option while I was asleep? Huh, I'm oddly not opposed to it.

"That you should have." Desmond turns to look each of us in the eyes, lastly meet my blue eyes with his even bluer ones.

"Well sister, aren't you going to introduce me to your vampires."

Foul, the word rings foul in his mouth.

"Sister?" Alma suprises us all with her inquiry.

"Twin sister." Des's words hit like handfuls of salt filling a deep wound.

" Des's words hit like handfuls of salt filling a deep wound