Chapter 4 : Ah Bella

Ace

My elbows rest on the edge of the sink as I cradle my head in my hands.

If I were still human, a dull angry throb would surely be making it's way up my neck to rest itself on my temples.

Facing the facts of my predicament, I focus on the two pools of black that have replaced my eyes.

Next, my eyes glide down to rest on my teeth.

The fantasy of having fangs is still yet to be a fantasy. Although I don't have dangerous dental work to flaunt, I can feel the pressure of where they would be.

Threatening to poke through the surface to spill the very blood my life now depended on.

Dekka's earlier words bounce around the walls of my head as I force them to sink in.

I'm finally shook out of my turbulent thoughts by three sturdy raps on the door.

"Ace Abella" She calls in a mock sing song voice.

Except when she says it, it sounds more like, ah Bella.

Not having made the best impression earlier, he try's to picture her stance. Even down to the subtle quirk of an eyebrow and the twitch of her smile.

"Time is of the essence." She says as the door swings open with a thud. Tossing me a tube of fake tan, a crisp stack of clothes, and the dopest boots I've ever seen.

"Fates help you." She mutters under her breath.

As I finish up rinsing off the fake tan, I watch the stained water swirl around my feet at the bottom of the tub.

Red, the water is blood red. Looking down at my hands, they too are covered in a thick sticky red.

Slamming my eyes shut, I push the memory down, down, down.

When I open my eyes again all that's left is tan water and clean hands.

The air has turned muggy and thick from the steam. Causing Dekka to curse.

Just as I think she's going to pull out an ax and chop down the door, I open it. She visibly sighs a huff of what could only be relief. Hmm, I could have sworn that she made a fascade to seem as if she couldn't care less.

She makes a daring evaluation of me, but my head is else where.

Her face shifts from round to more weathered, donning lines around the eyes. While her hair grows out looking like straw as she shrinks.

Down, down, down, goes her height. I do a double take as I look into her now watery green eyes.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I will my mom to fade. For the blood on her lips to disappear.
I'm shaken back to reality by a pair of dainty hands violently shaking my broad shoulders.

Looking down into to those icy blue eyes, I dare myself to look away, but I'm frozen by the ice in her stare.

Brushing her hands off, I look away while walking back to the bathroom mirror. Noticing what she did, I myself do a once over.

My sandy blond hair has enough volume that it puffs up in delicate waves. All while my chiseled jaw stands out against my flannel and leather boots.

"Dang." It comes out as a whisper that wasn't meant to be heard.

"My thoughts exactly Abella." She speaks with a smile to her voice. "But no amount of endearing compliments will make me forget what I just saw."

Playing stupid, I go for the denial route.
"Saw what? I didn't see anything?"

Clearly not buying it, she lets me know by the shake of her head.

"A flashback from something traumatic." With the subtle tilt of her head, she plows on. "A memory"

"Of my mom, before she died." Not sure what compelled me to open up. I search her eyes for sympathy, but all I find there is raw understanding.

She pulls me into a hug I wasn't sure a girl that small was capable of.

We are so close that I catch a whiff of what must be blue berry. I smile at the though until she backs away.

A thin line of blood streaming from both of her icy blue eyes.