Chapters 35 : Fated Lambs Academy

Ace

The damp air tightens in my throat as my vision swims with microscopic pixels. Clawing at the world around me, my fingers brush against the edges of objects, moving objects.

Still unable to see anything more than hazy splotches of color, I stand blindly feeling the movement around me. Some audio would be nice. Then, in a matter of seconds, my vision comes back in a blinding flash of white light.

I must be in some sort of school hallway between passing periods. Without even taking a second to hesitate, I know that this is fated lambs. The movement I felt around me earlier was the brush of students walking past me. A shoulders here, a flash of a long braid there and occassionally an almost catastrophe.

The appearance of the school sets a dank mood throughout the building, but the rush of students brings a wave of life. Until you really start to think about what these people are being trained to do here, that is. The titled floor fuzzies my vision as I sway on my feet, fighting to look away from the harsh fluorescents.

Think Ace, think.

In a single moment, I'm smacked upside the head with everything that happened before my body was vomited on to this gods awful floor by a gust of wind.

Delayed reaction, I know.

My fingers still fight for the object of their search. Dekka, I was reaching for Dekka. She disappeared. So, that means I obviously disappeared with her. Huh, that hasn't happened before.

Wait, I human now. Meaning that-

Another slightly dazed and stressed student bumps into me.

My first priority is getting out this hallway and to a more inconspicuous location. Utterly directionless, I wander through the halls until I reach an empty bank of stairs. With no map in sight, I don't really have any options.

Well, this isn't exactly a place that gets many visitors, or any for that matter.

FOCUS, Ace.

Climbing up the steep steps my calves feel the pull of my muscles fighting for purchase. Taking a breather, I feel my breath catch in my throat. It feels wonderful and yet terrible to be fully human again.

Sneaking through the set of double doors at the top of the bank of stairs, I peak my head out to scan the hall.

This hallway is lit by the light shining through grandly arched windows instead of the harsh fluorescents lighting the entire downstairs.

My freedom lasts for a measly thirty seconds before I'm caught. Real classy Ace. Frantically searching for an out is no use and there is no way I'm going to let the window be an option, sorry Dekka.

The boy who caught me while turning the corner stalks twards me with a frown of his face.

"What are you doing up here?" He questions.

Uhhh, about that... He continues talking to me, asking questions I presume. Yet, the only voice I hear is hers taunting me for being caught in such an embarrassingly open manner.

"Your new, aren't you?" He accuses as I snap back to reality. I can hear her voice, even now.

"Ace, can I ask you a question?" She once said.