CHAPTER 30

BROOK-BROOK

By the time I reached the cafe, mom was already sitting near the window with her elbows on the table, tapping away at her phone. When she spots me, she smiles and gives me a warm motherly hug.

"After ages." She says as she sat down opposite me. I nod and smile, "Yeah. It's been long. I heard that you met up with Luke though, and told him about that blackmail he used against dad." She shrugs, "The kid was desperate for a way out of the mess and that was the first thing I thought of." I nod, "So what did you call me for? You sounded nervous." I cautiously say.

She opens her mouth but shuts it again, sighing, "Forget about that for now. Tell me, how have you been doing? Christmas is just a week away!" She grins from ear to ear. I can make out that she's just stalling now, making me wonder what it is that got her so nervous. But I just smile, "I know right? It's crazy. Luke and I decorated his whole house today and it looks so good."

"Ooh that's nice! Maybe I could drop by and judge the work done by you two teenagers." She muses and I chuckle, "It's good, really. Only the Christmas tree is left to be decorated and I think Luke is planning on making a crib tomorrow since his sling is finally coming off." 

"Oh yeah, it's tomorrow right? Just tell him not to put too much pressure on his wrist so soon, it may get worse." She advices and I nod, "Will do. Even though it'll be hard to, considering how badly he's waiting to drive his car again." I roll my eyes.

Mom huffs dramatically, "Boys! But don't worry, he'll listen to you. He always does." She winks at me and I look away, blushing.

"May I get you'll something?" A young waiter stops by our table with a small notepad and pen in hand. 'Leo' his name tag read. Hm, nice name. Also happens to be one of the names I had in mind for my future kids, but he shouldn't know that...no one should actually. It's pretty weird.

"Black tea for me and Brooks, what will you have?" Mum looks at me, waiting for my answer. "Oh, a..." I flip through the menu to the beverages page and look up, "A cappucino will do. Thank you." He nods and flashes a charming smile as walked away. 

"So mum" I sigh, "I'm getting restless. Please tell me the real reason you called me here. Is it something bad? Is that why you're so nervous?" Mum bites her lip, fidgeting with her fingers on the table, "Ok Brooks, listen." She said with a deep breath. She paused and shook her head, "Let's just eat first? I'm starving."

"We didn't order ye-"

"Two garlic breadsticks with a side of sauce." A waiter says as he keeps two plates with four garlic breadsticks each, on the table. I smile and look up at mom, "You remembered." She mirrors my expression, "Of course I did. You used to love eating these as a kid."

I grin and nod, digging into my food. This place is filled with many memories of my childhood. Mom, dad and I would come here every Saturday as an award for me 'being a good child'. But I knew that was just an excuse for us to spend time together cuz we would come here even when I would throw tantrums in public for a new plush toy. Yes, I was a very very bad kid.

I remember there used to be this extremely sweet old waitress here who would sneak in an extra scoop of ice-cream for me when nobody was looking. She's not here anymore though, that's sad.

Mom and me ate in silence, slipping in small talk occasionally. Soft music played in the background and I saw two little kids going to the Kid's Corner and playing with some action figures and teddy bears. They looked like siblings. Damn, I wish I had one.

"So you're staying at Rosanna's house because Henry went for another business trip right?" Mom asks me suddenly and I shift my gaze from—the little curly haired boy who joined the other two kids at the corner—to mom and nod, "Yeah. He goes for them a lot. But I mean, I don't think I can ask him anything directly, you know? I'm not his mother." I shrug and mom purses her lips and nods, continuing on sipping her tea in the most elegant way possible.