CHAPTER 3

OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T FEEL WITHOUT A HEART, CAN YOU?

The next few days I stay completely away from Luke, avoiding him at all costs. It's not that I'm scared of him, no. His presence just pisses me off.

The taunts died down during that time and life went back to normal, which I was so grateful for because I don't think I would be able to live like that for long. Surely it hasn't completely gone off their mind and I have the occasional run-in with Zoe who keeps trying to make me cry for I don't know what joy. Keyword being 'keeps trying.'

Tomorrow it's a new month of October and I want to start afresh, forgetting all about the first month of school being horrible. So I decide to confront Luke about the incident today itself.

I stop him as he was heading out of math class, "What the heck is wrong with you Luke? Why would you do that in the cafeteria the other day?" I ask him, looking up at his tall figure. His face morphs into one of confusion, "I don't know why you're suddenly bringing it up now but...Payback darling, Payback" "What payback? Whatever did I do to you? I didn't even know you before that day." I argue.

"Oh of course you don't remember." He snorts, "Do you remember last week when you kicked the football on my car for P.E? Yeah it got a dent." I stare at him in shock. Is this guy freaking kidding me right now?

"So because of your stupid car you embarrassed me?" He grabs my wrist hard, "Do not ever talk about my car like that." His expression changes when he sees my pained one and he leaves my hand, "And anyway, you were being dramatic. Why did you have to cry about that? I just reminded people about an old story of yours, that's it!"

"That's it? That's it? What the heck do you mean by that's it? It's nothing big to you! You know how embarrassing that was for me? Everybody who looks at me only laughs now. How would you feel-oh wait, you can't feel without a heart, can you?" I retort, shaking my head.

He glares at me and walks off without a word.

After school, Harp invited me to her house since I was anyway supposed to go home with her today. My poor car keeps jerking every time I try starting it, so I'm stuck taking lifts or using public transport.

We reach her house soon and Harp knocks on the door which is soon opened by her mother, "Brooklyn, hello honey, how have you been!" she engulfs me in a bear hug. Like mother like daughter. "Hello to you too Mum" Harper says sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "Oh Harps, hello" Elise smiles, hugging her daughter.

"You know, sometimes I think she's more of your daughter than I am" Harp states, walking in. I laugh and her mother just rolls her eyes, "Liam just reached a couple of minutes ago. Having a sleepover I suppose?" We nod.

"Oh and Harp, I'll be going to run a few errands. Take care of yourselves." Elise smiles, opening the front door. "Ok mum. See you later" Harp replies with a flying kiss.

We go upstairs and bump into Kyle, Harp's older brother, "Hey Kyle, where have you been? Didn't see you for long." I say side-hugging him, "Eh school and stuff. Uni hits you hard" he says, shrugging. Kyle is the closest thing I have to a brother, after Liam of course.

"Come on Brooks, let's go in already" Harp says pulling my hand. Kyle shakes his head, "Harps. Always pulling away her best friend from me. Don't worry, I don't like her little sis." Harp narrows her eyes at him, "That's not even-god why am I even discussing with you. Anyway, we gotta go." She rolls her eyes and walks me to her room.

I open the door to be greeted with the familiar smell of Lavender. Her room was that colour as well. She absolutely adored it.

"Ah finally! What took you'll so long?" Liam asks, his eyes glued to Masterchef Australia showing on the TV screen. I sit next to him on the bed and Harp follows.