Chapter 15: Present

The week seems to take a turn for the worse when I receive a text message from Anna on Thursday night telling me she isn't feeling well and thinks she has the flu.

While I am waiting for Seth to pick me up the next morning, I try to calm my nerves. The thought of school without Anna terrifies me.

When the Jeep pulls in, I go outside to meet Seth. My nerves are no better than they were ten minutes ago. I reach for the door handle to get in the back when Seth stops me.

"You can sit in the front today since Anna isn't here. That is if you want to."

I take my shaking hand off the handle and walk over to the other side of the Jeep. I slide in and shut the door. We sit there for a few seconds in the driveway, not saying anything.

Then Seth breaks the silence. "Are you okay?"

I nod my head, not trusting my voice.

Seth waits a few extra seconds before he backs the Jeep out of the driveway and heads to school. We don't talk at all.

As soon as he parks the Jeep, he jumps out and comes to my side before I can put my hand on the handle.

We walk side by side until we reach the doors leading into the school. Seth reaches for the handle of the door just as I do, and our hands briefly touch.

"Uh, sorry."

"Didn't mean to do that..." We mumble to each other at the same time, and I feel my cheeks heating up.

Seth clears his throat and reaches to open the door again. I lower my head as I walk through the door.

Again, I expect Seth to go his separate way, but when he continues to keep pace with me down the hall, I look over at him. "What are you doing?"

Seth shrugs one shoulder. "I figured since Anna isn't here to walk you to class that I can... Unless you don't want me to."

"No. I mean... That's fine," I stutter out as I start walking again.

"I can come after class too. I can walk you to some of your other classes as well." Seth's words are hesitant. Almost like he was afraid to say them.

"Um, sure," I say, then realize something. "Aren't your classes in the C wing? I don't want you to be late."

Seth shrugs his shoulders this time. "I don't mind. If my teachers say anything, I'll tell them I got stuck behind talking to the teacher before them or that I had to use the bathroom."

I'm not sure how he knew I was feeling uncomfortable without Anna, but I'm glad he did. I smile to myself as we make the long trek to my homeroom.

When we arrive, I see Joshua immediately, but this time when I see him standing there waiting for me like he has done the last several times, I don't feel afraid.

I see Joshua look up from where he is a few feet from the door, and his face darkens as he sees Seth next to me.

"I'll see you after then?" Seth asks me.

I give him a small smile and nod my head.

I walk into the classroom and avoid looking over at Joshua.

I come to a stop next to the chair in front of me, but I don't sit down. Instead, I walk up to the teacher sitting at her desk at the front of the class.

"Mrs. Silver?" I ask quietly.

Mrs. Silver looks up from her laptop. "Yes?"

I almost chicken out and tell her never mind. But when I look behind me to see Joshua glowering at me from his seat, my courage kicks up a notch.