Chapter 5

Present

I am startled by a cheerful Anna when I open my front door.

"Good morning," she says brightly, and I try not to squint at her.

She has on a bright yellow shirt with little white flowers at the bottom and black leggings. With my black jacket covering my green shirt and my dark blue jeans, I look dim compared to her.

"I texted to let you know we were here, but since you didn't come out right away, I figured I would knock!"

Since getting out of the shower this morning, I was debating taking the bus or riding with them to school. I couldn't decide if I wanted to sit with the intense stares boring into me or sit in a jeep with Seth and a bubbly Anna who will talk a mile a minute.

When I knew they were there, I sat on our gray couch for a minute longer, wondering if I should just skip altogether. But then decided I didn't want to draw my parent's attention with a call home, so riding with them to school was the lesser of all the other evils.

Plus, Anna's bubbly personality so early in the morning almost always makes me glad I ride with them to school. I smile slightly at her and lie, "Sorry, I was finishing my breakfast." I had eaten half a banana and some toast but finished long before they arrived.

Anna turns on her heel and practically skips to the Jeep, where Seth is waiting with his head leaned back on the headrest, eyes shut.

We both climb in and slam our doors, jolting Seth awake. He looks over at Anna with an annoyed expression before he catches my eye in the rearview mirror and gives me a tired smile, sending my heart into overdrive.

"Good morning. She's way too cheerful in the morning, isn't she?" he asks, making me grin in agreement.

Anna reaches over the Jeep's console and playfully punches Seth in the arm, making him laugh.

Surprisingly, it brings a small laugh from me as well.

Seth puts the Jeep in reverse, heading to school.

I stare at Anna in wonder as she bickers with Seth. Seeing Anna so happy and bubbly makes me ache for that kind of happiness again.

I turn away from them and stare out the Jeep window. Will I ever be that happy again? Or will memories of that night continue to eat at my soul until I no longer have one?

Any happiness I feel quickly seeps away when we arrive at Baylor High, and I am suddenly filled with the dread of possibly seeing him again. I climb out, and my legs feel like rubber. I stare at the buildings, and all I want to do is climb back in the Jeep. I feel the palms of my hands start to sweat, and my breathing becomes uneven.

I feel an arm come around my shoulder, making me jump, and I look over to see a concerned-looking Anna staring at me. "You okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." She glances around the parking lot, then back at me, her eyes as round as saucers, jokingly faking being scared. "There are no ghosts here, right?"

I actually laugh for a second time that morning despite what I'm feeling. I shake my head at her.

"Phew! Good, I'm glad. Let me text Mom really quick to let her know we got to school all right. She freaks out when she doesn't hear from one of us."

She rolls her eyes at Seth, who has been quiet since we exited the Jeep. I catch him watching me curiously and look down at my shoes to break eye contact with him.

Anna finishes messaging her mom and grabs my arm, pulling me in the school's direction. "Come on, slowpoke! We'll be late for homeroom if we don't hurry."