Chapter 11: Present

The next morning, I sit on the bed, waiting for Anna to wake up. The sun comes up through Anna's bedroom windows. I fell back to sleep twice, and both times the nightmare came back.

I gave up on sleep around four in the morning. I try to rub away the memory of feeling of his hands on me.

Anna wakes up shortly before eight, yawning and stretching her hands above her head. She looks over at me, a smile already on her face. "Did you sleep well?" she asks me.

I nod and give her a weak smile, throwing the covers off me and begin to climb out of the bed when Anna's next words stop me cold.

"You know the guy outside your homeroom last Tuesday?" she asks.

"Yea-yeah"

"He found me before sixth period and introduced himself."

I freeze, not breathing. I hear her get out of bed.

"He's hot, but I think he knows he is, and that's a total turnoff for me." I hear her moving around behind me, but I don't turn around.

"Did... did he say anything else?" I whisper, afraid of what her answer might be.

"He was wondering if I could hang out with him sometime."

I fling myself off the bed and run over to her. I grab her upper arms and make her look me in the eye.

"Promise me you will never go anywhere with him by yourself."

Anna stares at me, openmouthed. I see fear reflecting in her eyes.

"Promise me!" I say urgently, needing her answer, needing her to promise.

"Okay. Okay. I won't. I promise," she says in a scared voice.

I relax and let go of her arms. "Sorry," I say apologetically. "He's not a good guy."

She smiles at me reassuringly, but I can see the questions racing behind her eyes.

"It's okay. I appreciate you looking out for me." She turns away from me to rummage through her closet for some clothes.

I sigh in relief as I start to get ready as well.

Anna doesn't ask why I reacted the way I did about Joshua, and I was thankful she didn't. I know that she will ask one day though, and one day I know I will have to tell her the truth.

We finish getting ready and walk downstairs to eat breakfast. I refuse to look at Seth, who sits across from me. I can feel his eyes on me, but I pretend I don't notice him.

Anna talks about Harry Potter to her mom and dad.

"We didn't finish the movies because we fell asleep halfway through the fifth one. We probably would have woken up on the couch this morning if Paige didn't get up to use the bathroom and get lost."

I freeze with my fork halfway to my mouth, and my eyes dart to Seth, who either didn't hear what Anna said, or chose to ignore it because he is still eating.

He swallows what's in his mouth and says, "We'll need to finish the rest of the series one day soon."

Anna speaks up, "What about today?"

I shift uncomfortably in my chair. "Uh, my mom needs me home. She texted me earlier. I have to do some chores around the house." It wasn't a complete lie. My mom did text me this morning, but only to ask when I'll be home.

Anna groans and says, "Ugh! Fine. Maybe next weekend we can finish them!"

Anna's mom interrupts, looking exhausted with dark circles under her eyes, "Next weekend we all are going to visit your grandparents in Miami. Remember?"