(Chapter 15)

+Alexis+

I quickly pulled off my lame nightshirt with cows over them, and replaced it with a black top, and a pair of jeggings. I dashed to my mirror, smoothed down the peaks of my hair, quickly applied some eyeliner, and then settled myself onto my bed.

The door opened.

I looked up, and feigned surprise, then had to do a double-take.

Max wasn’t looking good. His lip was busted, and he had a black eye.

“Who the hell did this to you?!” I yelled, jumping off my bed. “How dare they –?!”

Max pulled me closer to him, and kissed me.

It wasn’t a gentle kiss, but it got my heart going, and all the blood flooded my cheeks. Who the hell wanted gentle, when you could have…this?

“Don’t worry,” Max whispered, when I had to pull away for air, “I got Kyle back twice as hard.”

I froze.

“Kyle?” My eyes were wide. “You and Kyle?!”

“Yep,” Max said. “I kicked that bastard butt for all it was worth. He got in a lucky punch, but I floored him. I only stopped when the teacher ripped us apart.”

My fingers brushed over his cut gently, and my thumb traced swirls over his cheekbones.

He’d taken on Kyle?

That was impossible. Kyle was an amateur boxer – he was the guy who taught my brother, after all. Max couldn’t have taken on Kyle. Kyle could’ve mopped the floor with Max’s unconscious, semi-dead body. No way…

“I’m suspended.”

I focused. “What? Suspended?”

“Yep. So now I can spend a couple days with you, and we could do the history project together,” he said, pulling me closer to him, smirking. “Because you’re sick. Right?”

I smiled, but pulled away. “You’re right, I am sick. So you can’t kiss me.”

“I don’t care,” Max said, kissing the crook of my neck. “I like your germs.”

I giggled – seriously, I giggled. In a stupid, girly way. The way I used to…before Kyle. A thousand images flashed through my mind, and it stopped on Kyle’s crying face, telling me I was a dirty whore.

I jerked back from Max. Remember, Alexis. This is all a game. You can’t let yourself get attached again.

“So what do you want to do?” I said, changing the subject.

“Make-out.”

I smirked, mentally rolling my eyes. “I’ve got a Scrabble board in my wardrobe. Want a game?”

***

=Hailey=

“Hey, Kyle!” I called.

It was the end of the day, and I’d caught sight of Kyle walking away, taking the long route to the car park – something no one did, maybe because of the wildlife that grew in the narrow alley. Whatever. I will risk my shoes. I needed to talk to him.

He’d been beaten pretty badly today – though he’d given Max a good hit, he was kicked a couple times in his ribs. Nothing looked broken, but he was probably bruised.

“Kyle!” I yelled.

He didn’t turn around.

“Hey!”