(Chapter 21)

+Alexis+

I lined my eyes, and fluffed up my hair.

The concealer I'd piled on hid the paleness of my cheeks, and I forced my hands to stay still as I put on my lipstick, or I'll stab myself in the eye. Tiffany...was she going to tell Max?

I had to hold onto the dressing table to stop my legs from collapsing. Oh God...

After a couple minutes, I pulled myself together. Tonight was the night. I had to make it work, or the sacrifice I'd made...it would've been for absolutely nothing.

I'd worn a slinky black dress this time. It was dotted with sequins, which glinted in the light of my bedroom.

I checked my watch. Twelve.

Party etiquette stated a real party-animal arrives late. Way, way late. And since her party started at seven...I was late enough, right?

Time to go.

***

=Hailey=

His fingers roamed up my dress, paused my bra strap. The loud punk music pounded against my ears, making it impossible for me to actually think

His eyes were green. I liked that. I'd loved green eyes, after...

What was his name?

That was why I got drunk. I could finally forget his name.

This guy was trying hard, I had to admit. I could taste the alcohol in his breath - or was that mine? He fumbled at my bra strap. I decided to put him out of his misery, and just do it myself.

The guy smiled appreciatively, and wasted no time in sticking his hand up my dress. I closed my eyes, and let him do his work.

"Hey, Blondie."

My eyes flashed open, and I squinted through the darkness to try and see the girl who was suddenly in Tiffany's parent's bedroom.

"Crap, Alexis!" I yelled, pulling away from the guy.

"Any idea where Max is?" she asked, her voice slightly bemused. But I'd known her long enough to tell she was nervous.

"Uh...Second door on the right..."

She turned around, about to go. Should I tell her? It would be better to tell her, right?

"Alexis?" I blurted, without thinking. She turned back, raising her eyebrows.

No. Alexis was definitely the shoot-the-messenger type.

"Nothing," I said.

Outside, rain started to sprinkle.

***

+Alexis+

I closed my eyes, calming myself down. This was it...

For some reason, my heart was pounding, and hard and as fast as the techno beat of the music. A drunk guy stumbled past me, diving down the stairs, caught by his cheering friends. I had to give that it Tiffany. She knew how to throw a party.

A vase smashed next to my head.

She really knew how to throw a party.

My fingers lingered on the door. This was it...

I threw the door open, and two people turned around, squinting the sharp light.

I blinked, and I could almost hear the sounds of my world crumbling.

Max and Tiffany.

Max's shirt was off, pooled at his feet. He had Tiffany pressed up against a wall, their arms wrapped around each other.

I back away, and I could feel tears filling my eyes.

Oh, God...

I turned and walked away.

***

Max caught my arm. I threw him off.

We were in Tiffany's empty street. It was littered with cars. I weaved in and out of them.

It was raining, again.

Water permeated my dress. I was soaked through to my underwear, and the cold make me shiver.

"Alexis, look at me."

"No."

"You broke up with me, Alexis. I could do that -"

"Then why are you chasing me?"

I looked into his eyes. The green depths were suddenly uncertain.

"Because...I..." Then he blinked, and he was sure again. "I have to tell you I'm dating Tiffany now. I like her, and -"

"You dumb bastard!" I yelled. "I didn't want to break up with you, but someone -"

"Someone what?"

"Never mind," I said, turning away again. I tried to find my bike. "It doesn't matter, if you're really with Tiffany. I don't know why I'm even doing this...you're nothing but a stupid player."

This time he didn't follow me, but my feet seemed to stop of their own accord. I couldn't help it. It was like my body didn't want to be away from him.

"I'm not a player," he whispered, almost drowned by the raindrops. "That was... Tiffany. She was possessive...whenever I got a girlfriend...she would break us up..."

"If Tiffany was the one who messed up all your relationships," I yelled, water making my hair stick to my head. I blinked away the rain and the tears, trying to concentrate. "Then why didn't you do anything to stop her?"

"I didn't care enough," Max said, his eyes pleading for me to trust him. I've seen that look before. I fell for it last time. "Now...this is different. I care."

"Spoken like a true player."

"I'm not a player! What do I have to do to make you believe me?"

I looked at him, at his honest face. He looked so sincere, standing there, in front of me. I could almost believe him... But was I willing to take that chance?

"Nothing," I said, smiling bitterly. "It's too late. Way too late."

I turned.

"I love you."

I stopped.

He said it. He said the three words that normally meant, to me, that it was the end of the relationship. I'd first heard those words two years ago, when I was a stupid, naïve girl who believe everything guys said to her.

It'd hurt so much, when I had my heart broken...

But I knew, this time, if Max broke my heart, it would have broken it for good. This time, it was real. If he'd broken my heart this time, it would be broken forever. There could be no one that would be able to fix me.

So I just walked on, my pumps squelching with every footstep.

My tears mixed with the rainwater.

But my resolve wasn't so strong.

So when he grabbed my back, and held me close, I broke down.

"I love you, Alexis."

*** Next Morning ***

My eyes flickered open, and I focused on Max's sleeping face, illuminated by the sunlight from my window. I smiled.

I finally understood.

Everything Kyle said.

I closed my eyes again.

I was in love.

***

Author's Note: Do not be fooled by the ending-like ending to this chappie, cos it's not the end. The end will come soon, though. Just warning ya, so you guys don't get really "ARGH!!!" when the end does come :)

P.S. VOMMENT!!!

P.P.S. Check out my new book, "The Girl Who Wrote the Dating Manual".