(Chapter 4)

I ran out of the house, my heels not helping me at all in my mission to get the hell away. I’d never done…that before. Sure, I’ve played hard to get, but when you’re pretty much gotten, that move loses all the power. I’ve never stopped a hot, nice-smelling guy from kissing me before. Maybe something wrong with me?! Had I inhaled too many dumb public school germs from the dumb public school students?

I searched through my pockets, almost at the end of Carter’s road, for my Smart Car keys. Then stopped. Shit. I left my car at school. What the hell was I meant to do? I couldn’t walk home the sixty miles or so that were between mine and Carter’s houses. Damn him, and his little suburban-area-located home.

Should I turn back? No, seeing him would be worse than walking the sixty miles. I bit my lip. I could sneak back and hot-wire Tom’s car, but I’d only done it once before, and I wasn’t very good at the whole engine thing – it would take me at least twenty minutes. What about Carter’s bike? Motorbikes were easier to hi-jack, but it would take me about five minutes.

I turned back.

And saw his bike.

Oh, it was like the bike was possessed or something, and had suddenly jumped closer to me. No, the thing that sent my heart thumping was the guy who sat on the bike.

Carter Gray.

“You need a ride home?” he said, his brown fringe falling just over his equally-brown eyes. His muscular arms gripped the handle, and flexed impressively as he stretched up. His jeans were tight are fit oh-so-perfectly, and his smile was perfect. Yum. I kind of wish I made the bet about him now. “Max doesn’t take to much care so his…girls.” His eyes went up and down my body, stopping at the hickey Max had left.

“Sure,” I said, walking towards him, casually, flicking my hair, but covering the hickey at the same time. He passed me his helmet, and I slipped it on.

“Tell me which way to go,” he said, as my arms tightened around his HARD abs.

“Okay.”

He took off, and I closed my eyes as the familiar feeling of ride a motorbike engulfed me – the wind, the freedom, and the sheer speed. And, of course the warm of a guy’s back, ad you pressed your chest against him. Damn. I had to get a bike soon. How long until my Dad bought me the motorbike he promised? A Kawasaki ZX-10R would be awesome.

“Oh, by the way,” I yelled, against the wind. “I’m not Max’s girl. I’m single.”

If I could’ve seen his face, he would probably have been smiling.

***

“This is your house?” he asked, taking off my helmet for me. “It’s massive.”

I looked up at my own house – the gorgeous white mansion, dimly lit by soft lights all around, emphasizing the whole “grand” house thing. The front lawn was lush – well kept by our gardener who came daily, and a bird-bath stood in the middle.

I hated it. It was a big, daily reminder of who I was, and who I was related to – my parents. It was cold and empty, because my parent barely ever came home – once a month, for a day or so, and never at the same time. I was all alone in the house, something most other teenagers would have loved, but it was just boring for me.

“Yeah,” I murmured, non-committally. “I guess. Anyway, thanks for the ride.”

“Anytime,” he said, smiling.

We stood there awkwardly for a few moments. I bit my lip shyly, and brushed away my new fringe with my hand, looking at my shoes. This is what I was good at – getting guys hooked. This was comfortable to me. This was easy. I was most definitely not different. I was exactly the same girl before I met Max – I mean, came to this school. Damn it.