(Chapter 8)

"What are you talking about?" he said, frowning, his forehead crinkling adorably.

"You have to leave right now!" I yelled, running to my wardrobe, and pulling out a long Chanel t-shirt, and a pair of jeggings. "Now! Get you clothes on!"

"I'd much rather watch you get your on," he said, smirking. I rolled my eyes. Why are boys so stupid at the best of times?

I pulled on the t-shirt over my bra as I said, "Shut up and just get dressed. You'll have to leave from my window. No complaints," I yelled when he opened his mouth, a confused expression on his face.

I chucked him his jacket, and his jeans. Where the hell was his t-shirt?

"It's hanging from your door," he said, smirking. I jumped up and tried to pull it down. Damn it.

Carter got out of bed, and gently eased it down from the door for me, pressing his chest against my back while he did it.

"Thanks," I muttered, trying to ignore the fact that he'd wrapped his strong arms around me and was softly pressing his lips against my neck. "Now put it on. You really have to go."

He pulled away, and crossed his arms.

"Why?"

He almost pouted. My heart melted a little. He was sort of...kind of...adorable.

"Because my Dad's coming over," I lied, smiling at him angelically. I slid my arms around his waist, and kissed him, trying to get him to give in. This was just another part of the game - trying to get him to believe your lies.

Carter stopped semi-pouting eventually, and kissed me back. I tried to relax, and forget about Max, but it was so hard trying to forget that I'd "betrayed" him. You'd think swapping saliva with his hot best friend might help, but no.

I pulled away from Carter, just as the bell rang. Shit! Was that five minutes?

"Get your clothes on now!" I whispered. "I'll go downstairs to distract him, and you leave by the window, okay?"

"Sure," he said, smiling. He pressed his lips against mine one more time, before I tore away and ran down the stairs.

Max was standing there, in my landing, looking as good as usual, in his skin-tight jeans and a black t-shirt with frayed hems. He smirked and waved his hand when we made eye contact.

And my heart did the most stupid thing. It thumped. Not a gentle jerk, or even just a couple quickened heartbeats. It full-on ran. I could feel it bang against my ribcage, pounding so hard I could barely breathe. What the hell was wrong with me?

Maybe I was ill...?

"Are you okay?" he asked, looking worried - genuinely worried. I was staring down him, the stupidly perfect Max, from the fifth step of my staircase, not moving any closer. Was it me, or was my heart beating faster?

"I'm fine," I said, smiling at him as naturally as I could.

"D'you need some help down?" he said, smirking, and before I could stop him, he put his hands on my waist, lifting me up. I stumbled a little, and ended up closer to his face than I'd imagined.

And I smelt him. His damn pheromones.

My heart went overload and started pumping like crazy. Why? Kissing Carter couldn't even bring out this much of a reaction from me, so why did just being close to Max do it?

"Thanks," I said, blushing.

"No problem," he replied, smirking. And he kissed me.

It began, as lightly as a hush. His lips went to my cheek, then very slowly returning to my mouth. He paused for a moment, just a moment, then brushed his mouth against my burning lips.