Chapter Nineteen

Moon ByulYi - 7. Byul let her finger trace the rough surface of the grey brick where her name was engraved. To the right of her name was her candle holder, caked with wax from the previous memorial ceremonies. Song JiHye - 28. Her mother's name was crafted beautifully above hers. The names were laid out in columns, it went alphabetically by last name, but each family was grouped together, so they could be laid to rest beside each other. Moon DaeJin - 32. It had been too long since she even thought about her father's name, both of their names had remained hidden with in her mind, buried there with her thoughts of this place.

Byul's eyes could not focus through the tears that lined her eyes, she was glad she was facing the wall, and that she was clearly not the only person crying. Sobs echoed off the grand brick wall from too many people, as if they had just lost their loved ones days ago not years. Byul knew YongSun was beside her, pretending not to notice as she cried. Krystal was also nearby, but further than YongSun because Byul asked her to give her some space to mourn her family. The moment YongSun tried to step away, Byul stopped her and told her it was okay to stay close, earning a sour look from Krystal.

Byul's mind kept wanting to flash back to the memories of her parents she had, so many happy memories, but everything was being clouded by her last memory of her mother. Over and over again she watched the man grab her mother, fight with her, and kill her. A hand touched her shoulder and she jumped, her own hand going for their throat. When she recognized the eyes of the person, her hand faltered and she managed to stop herself before she hurt YongSun. "Sorry," She said, voice husky. She took a few breaths.

YongSun hesitated. "I'm sorry, I was calling you."

Byul nodded her head. "Yeah I was thinking about my mother." YongSun's eyes clouded, Byul kept forgetting that YongSun had seen the memory she was thinking of. Byul still wasn't sure what to think about that, but at least it was another person who knew what was going through her mind. "I think I need to go for a walk." She rubbed her hands over her face.

YongSun touched her shoulder lightly. "Would you like some company?" Byul hesitated for a moment.

She wasn't sure if she wanted to be alone, her first choice for company would be TaeOh because they had been together that day, meaning there would really be nothing for them to say they could just walk in silence. But YongSun had seen her memories, there should be nothing to explain to her, and yet she felt the urge to explain everything to her. Byul finally shook her own mind clean. "I'd love some company." YongSun gave her a nit of a smile as they began walking side by side.

Byul's eye caught a flash of TaeOh standing with his mother at his family's section of the wall. She tried to catch his eye to let him know she was going for a walk but like how she just was, he was standing there looking at the wall. She decided to leave him to mourn his father and just take a walk with YongSun.

Byul knew where she was going, obviously, she had grown up in the village, but she had a very specific place in mind to walk to and now that everyone was busy staring at the wall, no one noticed her and YongSun walk out. Well, almost no one. A few feet from the edge of the woods, Byul heard footsteps shuffle behind them as they walked, she didn't have to turn to know it was Krystal. Byul held out a hand to stop YongSun from walking. "Krystal," The footsteps halted as if shocked they were caught. "I know it is your job, but can you please just go find something else to do for like fifteen minutes?" She turned to look at the girl. "I really do not want an audience."

She saw Krystal's eyes shift to YongSun and harden, but when she saw the look in Byul's eyes, they softened again. "Fifteen minutes, I can't give you more or I will get in trouble."