Part Thirty Three

{So why should I fear in bad times, hemmed in by enemy malice.}
                Jason had said there was fire on the mountain when they were clearing the garden but he had refused to say what was going on. The others were already online when he entered Jason’s parlor. It looked like they were waiting for him. Jason had changed to another black T-Shirt and black jeans. He turned around to look for Cindy but she was nowhere to be found. He turned back to stare daggers at Jason who seemed unperturbed.
“Trouble in paradise” Jason said as he sat down for the briefing.
“Tamed why are you staring at Jason like you want to break his head?” Wild asked.
“Why don’t you ask this insane love stricken idiot” he said still looking at Jason.
“Jason what did you do?” Fast asked.
“I was having a fun time with my wife in my compound” Jason said.
He was even smiling.
“You know Halima was watching what you guys were doing. I wonder the kind of confusion you’ve placed on her mind” he said.
“Please can you explain exactly what they were doing? If possible send me visuals. I need to confirm something” Mark said.
“Mark!” he and Jason said at the same time.
“Please we have a bigger fire to quench” Major said.
He turned towards the TV. Ghost was not around.
“What of Ghost?” he asked.
“He is fine but my wife refused to allow him attend this briefing. Tamed you were two minutes late” Major said.
Major was all about timing.
“I’m sorry, I had to teach Halima how to make egg sandwich” he said.
“How? So fast” Wild said.
“Did she not go hysterical?” Doc asked.
“Surprisingly no. She knew exactly what to do and it looked like she enjoys cooking” he said.
“You’ve not answered how?” Wild said.
“Does it matter? As long as she is coming out of her shell” he answered.
“Tamed please tell me you did not eat in front of her” Fast said.
“Why not.”
His answer was followed by different exclamations from all of them including Jason.
“I thought she was brought to Jason’s place so she could live and experience normal. She had seen Jason make out with Cindy, then Tamed had eaten a gigantic bread and sandwich in her presence. Wild is her mind not too tender to experience all these?” Mark asked.
“I don’t know what to say Mark. But if Tamed says she is okay then let’s believe him. Let’s focus on the bigger issues” Wild answered.
“You keep saying that” he said.
“There are so many. Where should we start from?” Jason asked.
“Let’s start from Fast” Major said.
“Okay, I hit a jackpot yesterday evening. Halima is a gift from Umaru to Chief” Fast said.
“Explain” he said.
“I went on a field work and I intentionally put on my Air force uniform to ask about Halima. I followed an old cleaner of Umaru. All I had to do was speak Hausa and I became her friend. Those people don’t play with uniform men and foreigners that can speak their language. I was even invited to eat towu shinkafa. So I asked about what she felt about the killings and she said Umaru is a lucky man because it has been long opponents have been trying to kill him. According to her, Umaru has lost close friends and family members ever since he joined politics. She remembered one event where his Muslim secretary converted to Christianity. People were calling for his head but Umaru refused to sack him. She said that was one big reason people hated Umaru because he had relationships with infidels. She said Adamu was attacked and killed alongside his wife and two children. She said Adamu’s last child had a beautiful name and acted like her name. She called her Halima” Fast said.
“So Halima is supposed to be dead” Wild said.
“Did you inquire about her age at the time this incident happened?” Major asked.
“Yes. She said Halima should be eight or ten when the incident happened but she could not remember the exact year but would be between fifteen to sixteen years ago. So Halima has no family” Fast answered.
“Halima should be within twenty two to twenty five” Jason said.
“I don’t think she will still remember except she gets a full recovery” Wild said.
“The picture of Umaru and Chief looking young is not from a phone camera but outdated digital camera which was used about fifteen to sixteen years ago” Mark said.
“So Umaru must have given her to Chief as an exchange for weapons” Major said.
“There is something you guys are missing” Jason said.
“Which is?” Wild asked.
“Umaru is very smart. Too smart. The average Muslim in the north do not support violence and killings of non-Muslims. Only few are radicals and democracy is all about the highest vote. Umaru surrounds himself with christians intentionally” Jason said.
“Because he can easily get rid of them and blame radical muslims or political opponents for their deaths. Then he gets a sympathy vote from the peaceful masses” Wild said.
“I never saw it that way” Fast said.
“And he has made sure it will only be suspicions without evidence to link him to any crime” Doc said.
“That’s why Abdu is now under police custody. Musa had mentioned Abdu as his sponsor. The file is a bit of evidence. Although the police will not be able to open the encrypted file, they would be able to question him on the ones they can see. Farouk and family have been buried according to Islamic rites. Omakor’s mother and daughter came yesterday afternoon and Umaru welcomed them.  He gave them a check of two million naira gaining more praises from the masses” Fast continued.
“Pause. Did you just say daughter?” he asked.
It looked like all of them were just hearing it for the first time.
“Yes. He had a daughter out of wedlock and she has been with her grandmother. She should be within eighteen years and above. They will be carrying their corpses back to Ozoro, Delta state tomorrow for burial and Umaru has promised to be there” Fast said.
“Hope you put something on Umaru” Wild asked.
“Yes. His cars. I can track his movement. But I don’t think he would contact Chief because he is smart enough to know that someone on air force uniform have been asking after Halima and he must have known Chief has lost Halima” Fast said.
He did not know how to react to what he had just heard.
“Fast please find a way to find any evidence against Umaru” Major said.
“Roger that”
“And Tamed Ojogolo got your message loud and clear and has responded” Wild said.
“How?” He asked.
“Stud sent a message. She said about seven men came to assassinate Mama Sunday and family. They killed six of them and handed the seventh to the police” Wild said.
“Then where is the fire on the mountain?” he asked.
“Chief has gone to the media” Jason said.
“What now!” he exclaimed.
“I received a call from the Chief of Defense Staff yesterday afternoon. The IG had called him to release you for questioning on the attempted assassination of Chief. Then also to answer question as a suspect for kidnapping one Halima, Chief’s cleaner. I told him to give me five days to sort things out” Major said.
“But Chief had gone to the media after the police failed to make any arrest and after they refused to give him any answer. All the major newspapers have it as headline. Check out what Wild snapped and sent” Jason said.
A picture appeared on the screen.
‘ARMY REFUSES TO RELEASE THE SUSPECT OF CHIEF ESIGIE’S ATTEMPTED MURDER FOR QUESTIONING’
Another read.
‘HONOURABLE ESIGIE CALLS ON THE CHIEF OF DEFENSE STAFF TO RELEASE OBINNA, A SOLDIER TO THE POLICE FOR QUESTIONING’
‘DRAMA AS ARMY REFUSES TO RELEASE THEIR OWN TO BE QUESTIONED BY THE POLICE’
‘ARMY REFUSES TO RELEASE A KIDNAP SUSPECT TO THE POLICE’
“He did not stop there but also went to different TV stations. He has called on the president to intervene. According to him, there are so many witnesses who saw you within his house and also saw you with the girl. He even released Halima’s picture. She is wearing the gown she wore the day we rescued her. Right now, social media is on fire and programs on radio and TV stations are making it their point of discussion. NGO’s and Human Right activists have joined Chief to call the army to release you for questioning” Jason said.
Chief had really used a net instead of a trap.
“So what is going to happen now?” he asked feeling angry.
“Right now, the only success we have is that we have cut off Umaru from Chief. But Chief is winning at the moment” Major said.
“Jason, anything from the visuals?” Wild asked.
“No news that can implicate Chief. Ojogolo is very furious right now and he has sworn to end Tamed. Apart from some sold weapons, nothing”
“I told Stud to prevent the news from going public because  Chief will try to disassociate himself from Ojogolo and I don’t think it will help our cause if that happens, because we need good evidence that Chief is involved with them” Wild said.
“The president will be back in four days. There is House of Reps meeting tomorrow and I’m very sure Chief will raise the issue. He knows he is running out of time. The President will definitely need an explanation immediately he comes back and Chief will definitely be there to appeal directly to him. And worst case scenario, the president will demand to see Halima and you all know how it will turn out as Ghost said. Chief has three days same as us. But Halima is our only hope if it comes to no evidence” Major said.
“So you want Halima to be okay in just three days? You know that is not possible” he said.
“Even if she stops fearing Tamed, there is the part where she would still choose Chief when she comes in contact with him. This will be out of fear of Chief. Major it’s not possible in three days” Wild said.
“And the fact that the president was not even aware Chief was our target from start is another big issue” Mark said.
“Then the evidence is our only hope, because I won’t allow her face Chief, not when she is still not stable” he said.
“Jason anyway to get visuals on Chief?” Wild asked.
“I will use Flight 49” Jason said.
“What’s that?” he asked.
“A bird” Mark answered.
“So what now?” he asked.
“Just try to get Halima to be in the state for debriefing” Wild said.
“How will I know she is ready?” he asked.
“You will know” Wild answered.
“I think Cindy can visit her now Jason” he said.
“Then we will have the upper hand soon” Jason said.
“You really think Cindy can help?” Doc asked.
“I don’t think, I know” Jason said.
“Wild is there anything Cindy should know before seeing her?” he asked.
“Yes” Wild said.
“No” Jason said same time.
“You will ruin everything if you prepare her. Just let her be normal with her. She will be ready for debriefing in two days” Jason said smiling.
“Even as much I want to know how, I’m more happy that Jason said it himself, that means we have hope. Tamed we have your back” Major said.
“Doc what about the blood sample?” Wild asked.
“Oh about that. She tested negative for HIV. There were traces of contraceptive pills and anti-bacterial drugs in her blood. There is no malaria, no typhoid. In fact her blood is clear, even her blood count is normal” Doc said.
“Good to know we won’t worry about her health. Fast make sure you keep tabs on Umaru and Abdu. Jason let Fight 49 get to Chief as soon as possible. We need to get enough evidence that could back us up when I meet the president. At least enough to make the president give us time. The media and others can rant but our focus is getting evidence” Major said.
“I’m off” Wild said disconnecting.
Jason also disconnected.
“I don’t need anyone to tell me you are furious” Jason said.
“I feel like visiting Chief and the whole clan of Ojogolo and end everything immediately. I can’t let her meet Chief” he said.
“Just calm down. If you take this anger to her, she is going to misinterpret it. Cindy has classes this morning but she will visit her before going for her class” Jason said.
“You really think Cindy can help?”
Jason nodded.
“I need to punch something” he said standing up.
He went straight to the mini ring and immediately vented his anger on the punching bags.