Part Thirty Two

“Halima do you know how to make egg sandwich?” she heard Beast voice and raised her head.
She looked at him confused.
“Can you make egg sandwich?” he asked again.
She shook her head.
“Okay, follow me. You need to learn how to make your food. I’m too busy to cook” he said.
She still looked at him confused.
“Stand up and follow me” he said.
She stood up and he started moving. She followed him but stopped when she saw steps.
“Afraid of the stairs?” he asked.
She nodded.
“Just hold the rails” he said pointing at a silver iron by the steps.
“Or you want me to carry you down?” he asked.
She shook her head and immediately held the rails. She slowly took one step at a time. She was afraid he would shout at her to be fast but he did not. He just waited. As soon as her leg touched the last step, he continued walking. She raised her head and got lost by what she saw.
“Hurry up Halima, I have a meeting to attend” he said preventing her from looking at the beautiful parlor.
She followed him up to the dining table. She knew it was called a dining table. She entered the kitchen and became lost. It was different from the one in her memory. It must be the kitchen because she could see plates.
“Okay, pick the number of eggs, tomatoes and pepper you need. The onions, the onions. Okay got it” he said opening a glass hanging up.
He brought a flat basket that had onions inside. He brought out two small trays and picked so many eggs, tomatoes, onions but few peppers inside one of the trays.
“I don’t like pepper” he said placing his tray on milk color shining surface that was covering lots of cupboards.
“Halima, hurry up, pick what you can eat” he said.
She bent down and picked two eggs, two big tomatoes, one big onions and three fresh peppers, then placed hers on the milk color surface like him.
“Good. Do you know how to slice them?” he asked.
She did not know what to answer.
“Okay, follow my lead” he said.
He brought out two knives and two bowls. He poured his stuffs on the bowl and went to the tap.
“What are you waiting for? Do as I do” he said.
She quickly did the same thing but he was too big and was covering where she would get the water. She waited until he left. He waited for her to join him.
“Okay, you cut the pepper first so it will reduce the peppering sensation” he said slicing the pepper on his tray. She did the same.
“Good. You know how to do it then. When you are through, cut the tomatoes and onions” he said.
As she sliced the pepper, she felt she had done it many times. She finished slicing the pepper and placed it on one side of the tray. She did same for the tomatoes and onions but after peeling the back of the onions.
“Wow. You are through before me. And you even separated them. How did you know?” he asked.
She did not have an answer so she shook her head.
“Do you know what to do with the egg?” he asked.
She nodded.
“Good go on” he said bringing out a small bowl from the cupboard. He also brought out a fork.
She broke the eggs inside and whisked it. As she whisked, he brought out a frying pan, oil and salt. She did not know how but she just knew what to do. She took the frying pan and looked for the fire.
“Here Halima" he said making her turn.
“These are called burners. Number one, two, three, four, five, six. If you press this place and turn it left according to the number I pointed out, it will light up. Try it” he said giving her space.
She pressed number one and turned it. Fire came out on the number one burner making her gasp.
“If you know what to do, you can fry your egg. I’m still cutting mine” he said.
Something triggered in her memory, she had done this before. The oil first, then the onions, then the pepper and tomatoes then the egg and the salt. As she followed the order in her head, Beast joined her. He had a big pan and switched on the third burner. Then started frying his own. But he poured everything at once after pouring the oil. She gasped.
“What? This is my own recipe. Fry yours your way” he said.
She stirred hers with her fork and later removed the frying pan.
“Okay, press and turn the button right and it will go off” he said pouring his many egg into his big frying pan without allowing the tomatoes to get done.
And he said he wanted to teach her. She did as he said and the flame went off. There were plates on the surface and she picked one and poured hers inside.
He left his food on the fire without stirring it and brought out Bonvita and Peak milk. She gasped. She could read what was written on it.
“Anything?” he asked dropping them on the surface.
She shook her head.
“Do you know how to make tea?” he asked walking towards a big fridge, half of it was glass.
She nodded.
He opened the fridge and brought out a gigantic bread.
“Okay take cup and make your tea. If you want it hot, you can take water from that kettle” he said going back to his food which was already burning.
He poured his food into a big bowl. It was too much and there was no way he would finish it. He brought out a big cup and poured a lot of milk and bonvita inside, then he went to the fridge and brought out a cold water then poured it in his cup. He brought out another bread, kept it under his armpit, then he carried the big bread and his bowl of food.
“Halima, I don’t have time. Hurry up and join me at the dining. You know what that is?” he asked.
She nodded.
He left the kitchen. She opened the bread and took four slices then placed it on a tray. She also placed her plate of eggs on the tray. She quickly made a small tea with the hot water. She carried her tray to the dining table but jerked and gasped at the same time when she saw Beast. His food was halfway gone, also the bread.
“What?” he asked putting a large slice of bread with too many egg in his mouth.
She shook her head and placed her food on the table. She could not eat even after sitting down. She watched Beast consume his food with her mouth open. He was going to kill himself with food.
“Halima if you don’t want me to add yours to mine better start eating” he said.
She forced her eyes away from him and started eating. It tasted so good.
“You really like it. Can I take a bite?” he said making her look at him.
Again she gasped with her mouth wide open. He had finished the whole food. He stood up and came over to her seat. He picked a slice of bread, poured some of her eggs inside and forced half of it into his mouth.
“Who taught you how to cook Halima?” he asked after eating the slice of bread.
She shook her head because she could not remember.
“I have a meeting right now. Do you know where to wash your plates?” he asked.
She shook her head.
“Follow me” he said going back to the kitchen.
She followed him. He stopped at where the tap was.
“This is the kitchen sink. The soap and sponge. Watch me wash my plates” he said.
She knew that already but was afraid to tell him.
“So when you are done eating, take the drugs I will give you, then wash your plates. Don’t worry about sweeping. Jason’s machine will do that. Just take a shower and try comb your hair. Okay?” he said.
She nodded. He left the kitchen and she went back to the dining table to finish her food. He came back with her drugs and placed it on a plate. Without saying another word to her, he left.
      She slowly climbed back after she was done with everything. She entered her room and quickly went to the mirror. She smiled when she saw she was still skinny.
“I don’t ever want to be fat. I want to be very skinny and skinnier” she said to herself.