Chapter 9

Marshall's P.O.V

It was so simple.

All we had to do was get into Briar’s house, put all her unopened birthday presents inside, and put Marshall’s reply inside the box he had given her.

As Marceline and I were flying there, she decided to interrogate me.

“Marsh, why are you doing this?”

“Because I feel bad. She ran out of her party, all because I was so insensitive. I feel so lumping selfish and terrible, I broke up with Fionna because I didn’t want to be a burden on her.” I said, wondering if I even felt like that.

“Sure, didn't want to be a burden”

“Shut up” I scowled, pushing my sister to my right. She nearly fell, we were so weighed down with all the boxes and parcels. I looked at the purple box in my hands and straight away I knew it was from Lumpy Space Princess. I could tell by the fact that it had a card on the front that said:

‘GREETINGS FROM LUMPY SPACE' on the front, but I digress.

I smiled to myself at the fact that it probably had some kind of weird jewellery inside, the kind that Briar would only wear in front of her, so as not to hurt her feelings, and I started to laugh a little. For the first time in the last 24 hours, I was actually laughing.

“Wow, you're laughing. That’s a change.” Marceline said cynically.

“oh my glob, shut up, you idiot.”

Briar's house was in view. Now all we had to do was put the presents in her room, and have Lucia wait there and open the presents with her. Lucia had to make sure that briar opened my box. She had to read that note. Briar was around the corner. We needed to arrange those presents. Fast. I put the note in the box, but first I read it one more time:

Briar,

I broke up with her because...

I love you.

Marshall.

Briar's P.O.V

I was so happy. I was almost home, and I was over Marshall. I could finally start a new relationship with him as just friends. I turned the key in the front door and opened it. I was surprised to see an entire living room full of presents, and a very excited Lucia.

“What are you waiting for? C’MON! LET'S OPEN YOUR PRESENTS!”

We spent about 2 hours opening those presents. There was some weird jewellery from LSP, a cheap-looking necklace from fionna, and a bowtie necklace from Peppermint Butler.

My eyes kept wandering over to Marshall’s box, wondering why it was still here, if I had opened his present. I then realized that whoever put the presents in here must have made a mistake, and I put the box in the trash.