5

Ryan POV

Today is my first day in this private school. I'm kinda nervous because I'm gonna be the new kid on the block and I don't know how the other kids are gonna treat me.

"Okay baby, the school sent you your schedule right?" Mom asked as she was driving me to school.

"Yes," I said as I sat in the passenger seat.

"Remember, I ain't picking you up after school because you're gonna take the school bus back home. I won't be home until five in the afternoon so when you get home, lock the door and don't open the door for anyone, okay?" She said as she pulled in the drop-off zone. She turned and smiled at me. "Have an amazing first day at school baby. I love you," she said and she kissed my cheek.

"I love you too mom," I smiled at her. I took my backpack and shoved my phone in my pocket. "Bye," I opened the car door and I was off.

My eyes roamed around the premises with the pupils all around.

"You got this Ryan," I said to myself as I adjusted my backpack and started walking through the maze of pupils.

I took out my phone and looked at my schedule and it was written that I have  Math first.

"Room 204. Got it," I shoved my phone back in my pocket.

I walked around busy bumping into people trying to find the room.

This school is huge. I can easily get lost.

"I've never seen you here before. Are you new?" I heard someone talking to me.

I turned and saw this boy with curls. I'm guessing he's older than me. "I'm Julez Smith," he extended his hand.

I smiled weakly. "Hey, I'm Ryan Carter," I shook his hand. "Yeah, I'm new here and I'm kinda lost."

He placed his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry I'll help you. First things first. You have to go to the vice principal's office so that he will give you your locker and its combination. He'll then escort you to your class," he said walking with me.

Julez showed me around and then he finally took me to the vice principal's office.

Julez POV

"Well, well, well. How are you enjoying your day so far?" I asked Ryan as I caught up to him on my way to the cafeteria.

"Its fine. I made a friend," he said to me. "I never got the chance to ask you, which grade are you in?"

"Seventh grade," I said.

"I'm in the fifth grade," he said. "I shouldn't keep you from your friends. Imma go have my lunch with Justin," he said and he walked away.

I watched him go to his friend.

This may be my imagination but Ryan looks a lot like uncle Shawn. He looks like a younger version of uncle Shawn, the resemblance is uncanny.

I may be just imagining things. Maybe its one of those things whereby they say there's at least one person out there who looks exactly like you.

***

"Hey baby," mom said as she entered my bedroom. I was busy on my study table writing my homework.

I put my pencil down and watched her as she sat on my bed. "Hey ma. How was work?"

"Eh, it was aight. What's happening with you? Do you need help with your schoolwork?" She said.

That's one of the reasons I love about my mom. She always asks me about my schoolwork and offers to help me. I love how I can easily talk to her about anything.

"I'm good ma. You can go," I said and she stood up. "Ma?" I said and she stopped in her tracks.

"Yes baby," she smiled at me.

"Does uncle Shawn have a child?"

Mom scrunched up her face and tilted her head at me. "A child? As far as I know, your uncle don't have a child," she said. "Why would you ask me that?"

I shrugged. "I was just curious that's all. Its nothing," I said lowly.

She sighed. "Is this your way of asking for a baby brother or sister from me?"

"No. I mean, it will be nice to have a sibling but I didn't mean that," I said. "Its just, there's this new kid at school and he kinda looks like uncle Shawn."

She walked towards me and slightly pinched my cheek. "Baby, I think it was one of those moments of look alikes," she said and she kissed my cheek. "Finish your homework and don't stay up late."

I watched her walk out of my room.

I guess she's right. If uncle Shawn had a child then he would have told us.