brighter

Ronnie's POV

The december morning peeks through my window earlier than i would like. I hate how easily awakened i am. Even by something as little as sunlight.

Jay texted me last night a few hours after he had stormed out of my house. I couldn't tell if he had good news to inform me of or bad news, all he said was news. Just another mystery to fail at trying to figure out. I was worried sick the entire night. i honestly had no idea where he was headed. For all i know he could have either killed his dad or made up with his dad. Either one was reasonable in his case. My mom overheard a bit of our conversation and has asked to talk about it over six times. She's so suspicious about Jay, just like every parent is. It's not like i am naive enough to believe that Jay is percieved as your everyday "good kid" it's just I wish more parents practiced more accepting and less assuming.

I manage to walk my zombified self to the bathroom to freshen up with my famous hot shower along with blasting my cliche girl power music. It was a Saturday, which meant my parents had gone to an early brunch with the Morrison's and wouldn't be back til after noon (Lol). After I clothed my self i figured I would brew a pot of coffee and make Jay a cup of tea. After texting him asking when he thought he would be over, he responded quicker than usual with a reply of:

*I picked up some omelets, be there in five,*

Billy was out of town on a baseball trip, and my little sister Kai always attended the brunches with my parents. Leaving the house empty to Jay and I. I was glad. We could talk freely and not have to deal with my parents judgment and bud-ins to our conversations.

"Howdy!" A voice hollered through the front of my house.

"In the kitchen!" I respond

"As usual," he cracks a joke

"Sexist," I kid

"Hey," Jay says pulling me into a large bear hug

"Hi," I greet quietly between his neck and shoulders

"Tea? Really?" He scoffs playfully scanning the pot on the stove

"Yeah, I thought you liked tea?" I throw a confused look his way

"I do, it just..reminds me of therapy or some shit," he laughs

"No therapy today, I promise," I smile

"Sounds like a plan," he says bringing two mugs out of the cupboard

His eyes actually look brighter today. Like the first time I met him. Two years ago.

"What are you staring at?" He says jerking his head to one side of his neck, like when someone catches you in the middle of a stare down.

"Your eyes," I say quietly

His brows furrow in confusion before I finish what I was thinking.

"They're brighter," I smile, my lips not parting

"Oh," he sighs

"I thought I had something on my face," he adds

"Jay what happened?" I blurt

He takes in a breath. The tea in his mug is still steaming, but he takes a sip to avoid speaking.

"I..well. We-," he cuts himself off

A few short moments pass by. I assume he's gathering ways to put it into a sentence, but he looks like he's struggling.

"I talked," he whispers. So quiet I thought I misheard him and asked him to repeat himself.