9- We Uncover Our Roots

Carin ☥

"What nome are you from?" I asked again.

The kid furrowed his eyebrows. "Gnomes? You mean those things you put in your garden?"

I took a deep breath. He was clearly freaked out and confused, I could see it in his eyes.

"You're either an idiot or not a magician."

"Magician?" The kid asked. "You mean the guys who pull rabbits out of-"

I rolled my eyes. "No, An Egyptian magician. We've done magic- real magic -ever since Ancient Egypt."

I waited for the boy to respond, but his ice blue eyes looked terrified.

I put my hands on my hips. "By the look on your face I'm guessing you're not one of them?"

The kid shook his head. "I'm not Egyptian. I'm American."

I scoffed. This kid is an idiot. "I'm American too, what's your ancestry? You're definitely not 100% human, no human could do what you just did."

"My parents are both Greek-"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Greek? My dad once told me a story about this Greek he met one day on Long Island. And now that I think about it, you look a lot like him."

I remember dad talking about a Greek demigod with black hair and green eyes. This kid has black hair and bluish-grey eyes. But this kid didn't look like a demigod. He was kind of chunky, like an old teddy bear.

"What's your name kid?" I asked.

"Dylan Jackson," he responded.

"Jackson..." I said, my voice trailing off. That name sounded so familiar.

"What's your name?" The kid asked.

I hesitated. Dad always told me to never give out my name because that person could be an enemy magician, but this guy looked safe enough, plus he saved my life.

"Carin Kane," I responded.

"Kane...I've heard of that name before," Dylan said. "I think my dad met this guy, his last name was Kane...his name was...oh what was it..."

"Carter Kane?" I asked.

"Yeah!" Dylan exclaimed.

"Carter Kane is my dad," I mentioned. "So that must mean your dad is Percy Jackson."

Dylan looked up. "This pen my dad gave to me, it transformed into a sword-"

Dylan ran to the yellow line next to the train tracks.

"Where is it?" He asked, confused. "How can something just disappear?"

Dylan put his hand in his pocket and pulled out the pen. Dylan gasped as the pen clattered to the floor. "W-What? It- it teleported into my pocket!"

Dylan continued to ramble, but I had to figure out what he is. He can't be human, no human would be able to flood the Manhattan subway and come out completely dry. Then it hit me.

If Dylan is a descendent of a Greek god and Percy is a demigod, Dylan must be one too.

"Dylan I know what you are," I called.

"What?" Dylan asked.

"A demigod."