18- Nearly Inferno Burned

Carin ☥

"Come on, Carin," a soft female voice encouraged.

Hot liquid poured down my throat, making me feel like I was still burning up. But I knew I wasn't, this was a good kind of burn.

I like fire. It's bright and big like me. I'm so big and bright the sun looks dull next to me! I'm so wonderful!

I could only see blackness. I wiggled my fingers, the floor felt soft...like....cotton candy. I let out a small giggle. I like cotton candy...

I groaned. "Calypso? Is that you?" I said weakly. I lifted my arms up and weakly grasped something soft. I felt around, something round...something wrinkled. I felt upwards, everything dipped and- Hands gripped my hands and brought my down to the cotton candy.

"Carin," Calypso said. "You shouldn't touch my face. Can you see?"

I shook my head. "Nope!" I giggled.

Calypso dabbed something cold on my face. "You need to rest, you nearly burned up."

"I thought you could withstand fire," a boy said. Must be Dylan. "Why did you burn up?"

"It's...good to hear your...safe...Dylan," a voice said. The voice sounded familiar.

"Thanks...uh...Carin," Dylan said hesitantly.

My hands floated upward towards Dylan's voice. I coaxed soft skin, baby snow. Baby snow powder. Dylan's skin is baby snow powder!

"Come...here," I whispered. "I...want...to...feel-" I giggled again. I'm just so happy, I can't seem to stop giggling! "You're...face!"

Dylan brought my hands down. "Okay..."

I gasped. Wait. Did I just say that?

You sure did, Ra said inside me. Gods Carin, I thought you would have burned up, but you did it, you really did.

"Mmm...thank's Ra," I said giggling.

You seem kind of sick though, Ra said. Maybe it's best you get some rest. I have no idea what will happen to me if you die again.

Oh Ra, I thought to him. I'm not dying anytime soon. You're such a worry wart!

"Worry wart?" Ra asked. "I don't think she's okay."

I'm fine Ra! I thought to him. You need to stop worrying!

Ra kept talking to me. The way he spoke to me felt kind of different, but oh well!! Maybe Ra is just...changing! I giggled. Gods don't change, they had 10,000 years to do that.

My insides still felt...weird. They reminded me of...mush. Like oatmeal I would always have at the Brooklyn House. I love oatmeal!

"Carin, are you okay? You seem kind of loopy."

Loopy? That's a strange word! It reminds me of fruit loops! Dylan should go fetch me some fruit loops! Those toucans on the covers are so funny! Toucans are funny birds!

"I'm not loopy Dylan," I said, giggling. "Your voice sounds funny! Like an old man's!"

"Hey! I'm not an old man!"

"Whoops! Sorry Leo!" I said giggling. "I guess I mixed you up with Leo!"

"I am Leo!"

"Oh whoops! I meant Dylan! Sorry Leo!" I stretched my arms out all over the cotton candy and giggled. "Leo is a funny name!"

Carin, Ra said softly. Something seriously isn't right.

"Oh Ra, everything is okay!" I yelled, then let out a burst of laughter.

"I don't know who Ra is, but something is wrong," said dad.

"No everything is fine dad," I said giggling. "I'm not gonna burn up. I'm a big strong girl who will make a big strong host! You just see!"

"I'm not your dad," my dad said.

"Yes you are! You don't sound like him, but you are! You taught me the fist of Horus and gave me Ra! He's a fabulous friend!"

Carin, Ra said. I am not a fabulous friend. You think I'm annoying, don't you remember?

"Oh Ra!" I yelled, them giggling. "You're too funny!"

"I think something's wrong with your head."

"No dad!" I yelled. "Nothing is wrong with me! I'm like a perfect, pretty, pink princess!"

"I'm not your dad!" My dad yelled. "I'm Leo Valdez!"

"No your not!" I said pointing a finger at my dad. "You're Carter Kane! You're absolutely fabulous! Like Ra!"

"Who is Ra?" My dad asked.

"You know dad! You gave me him!"

Carin, this person isn't your dad, he's your friend, Ra said.

"I know you're my friend dad!"

"I'm not your dad!" My dad yelled.

I nodded and then giggled.

"You're- you're- you're-"

"Carin, what's going on?" Leo asked.

"You're- you're not my dad."

Leo sighed with relief. "Thank to gods."

My face felt hot. "What did you do with my real dad?!" I hollered.

My heart is palpitating. Why is it doing that? What did this imposter do with my real dad? I'm gonna kill him!

I lurched forward towards the imposters voice as I tackled someone to the ground.

"Carin! It's Leo!" The imposter yelled as I tackled him.

I swatted and kicked at him. "What did you do with my real dad?" I screamed.

"Ow! Carin! Your dad is in Egypt!"

"No he's not! You took-"

A sharp pain shot up my jaw. I could feel myself scream. I collapsed on the grass and couldn't feel anything.