15- A Visit from a Family Horse

Dylan Ψ

Calypso and I took off running.

"Does this happen a lot?" I asked gasping for air.

"What?" Calypso asked.

"Monsters attack and Leo needs to save everything?"

Calypso shrugged. "I guess."

Behind me I could hear burning fire and clashes of swords.

I hope Carin's okay, I thought to myself.

"Hey hold up," I panted. "I-I need to rest."

I wiped sweat from my forehead and leaned against a tree trunk. I felt queasy...and guilty. How could I let Carin go off and fight?

Calypso sat next to me and placed her hand on my forehead. "I think I know what you need to feel better."

"W-What?"

I gasped as a sharp pain shot up my ribs. I grappled my body as I rolled onto my side.

Calypso reached into her bag and pulled out a piece of...cornbread?

"Here," she said handed me a small piece.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Ambrosia," Calypso responded. "It's supposed to heal demigods."

I took a small bite, it didn't taste like cornbread. It tasted like the warm, buttery, blue cookies that Gram makes. The pain in my stomach began to subside as the ambrosia melted in my mouth.

"Did you like it?" Calypso asked.

I nodded. "Can I have some more?" I asked. "That food makes me feel so...powerful."

Calypso frowned. "Actually, you can't have a lot. Too much could burn up a demigod."

I gulped. "So it'll literally-"

"Burn you up, yes. Try and have some self control."

An explosion rang in my ears. I shrieked and scrambled to cover them. Black, bleak smoke drifted upwards from the fight.

"How much farther are we going to have to run?" I asked.

"Actually, I don't think we're going to have to run anymore," Calypso answered. "I contacted your parents. They're sending back-up and I think it's going to help us get away faster."

"Well what are they sending?" I asked. "A car? a plane? A magical flying chariot?"

"A Pegasus," Calypso answered.

"A Pegasus?"

"Actually Blackjack, Percy's best wingman. Quite literally."

A dark shadow passed over the woods. I glanced up at the sky and gasped at the beautiful black stallion with raven wings much larger than it's body. The wings cut through the sky like butter as the horse descended to the ground. The horse stood before me, dark eyes staring. The sunlight reflected off his jet black wings.

"Dylan," Calypso said. "This is Blackjack."

The horse whinnied.

Hey bosses son! a voice chimed.

I jumped back in surprise. "W-what was that?"

"What was what?" Calypso asked.

"There was...a voice in my head."

It's me, Blackjack, the voice said again.

"T-the voice...said...it was-" I glanced at the black stallion. His eyes were dark, as if he's seen the pits of hell. But, I could see a twinkle of love in them, as if looking at me was the same as looking at Percy. "The voice was you."