Chapter 08 | Dream

Here we are! I'm a day late because I had to work yesterday and didn't plan that rip. I want to die, but like... low-key, so just temporary non-existence rather than death which is an improvement from working in the fast-food industry. Anyway, here we are! I promise this chapter is almost entirely cute shit. I did my best with the wedding with research and not including things I didn't know, but if you see something wrong, please let me know and I'll fix it! My friend Kaitlyn helped me SO MUCH with this chapter because angst is my comfort zone, not cute, so thank you if you're reading this Kait! I hope you all enjoyed this nearly year-long fic as much as I did, despite how long it took me to finish. Thank you all for everything!

Content Warning: Mild mentions of past abuse

Mai had never been to pride. Rather, she had never been to the parade. When she first came out, she shyly wandered out with a transgender pride flag painted on her cheek and walked around the local park with her friends. The fact that she was able to do such a thing, to even see others with gay and bi pride flags, was amazing to her, so that was what she did. As she grew older, walking around the park turned into sitting in Yugi's den with a bottle or two of whiskey, some mixer, and everyone yelling different rules to different drinking games while wearing the most extravagant pride things they had.

But Mai was still a virgin when it came to the actual parade.

She knew it would be loud and bright, but nothing quite prepared her for the dull boom of drums and Lady Gaga as she stepped out of Miho's car.

Miho smiled and took Mai's hand. She was wearing a cute pink dress that looked like she'd plucked it from an Animal Crossing catalogue and had elected to wear her customised lesbian pride hijab. Mai had even painted Miho's nails into a rainbow, subbing in silver and gold for the two missing colours.

Miho ran her thumb over the back of Mai's hand. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She murmured. "It can be overwhelming."

Mai shook her head and squeezed Miho's hand in return. "I'm sure." Mai, meanwhile, had chosen a crop top with a sparkly rainbow heart on either boob along with worn crew shorts and trans pride converse. She had done a smokey-eye bisexual pride flag. It wasn't half as extravagant or loud as normal, but it was comfortable and cool enough to keep her comfortable in the sticky heat.