Chapter Fifty Three: I Ponder of Something Terrifying

||Cole Wentz|| First Person||

It happens so fast, I'm not even a hundred percent sure how I managed to do it. Watching Patrick crumble into a heap on the floor, a bullet finding its way into his chest, kind of made me snap. I almost feel compelled to collapse to the floor and burst out into tears, awaiting Derek to put me out of my misery, but just seeing Patrick so determined to protect me, I couldn't simply give up.

"You'll be safe with us, I swear to you right now." Patrick says to me, his lips barely off of mine. My lungs are tightening in place because this is too much for me. "If anything happens, I will protect you with my life."

"Patrick," I exhale, my poor, poor heart twisting in my chest, but he smiles sweetly and shakes his head. Patrick Stump, everyone.

"You can't change my mind. I'll do it." Patrick tells me, and the scary thing is that I believe it.

He put his life in danger for me. He promised he would protect me with his life, something so precious because it's so rare and hard to find people like him. He promised to keep me safe no matter what, and for what? For me to just- just give up? He wouldn't be proud of me. He wouldn't be happy. And I sure as hell know that the both of us won't be alive to see each other again if I don't do something now.

I didn't know I had that much strength mustered inside of me, but the anger fueled the adrenaline rushing in my veins almost instantaneously. I stand up on the window sill, nearly falling off of the small platform, and drive my elbow into the back of Derek's neck. He doubles over, flinching away from the source of pain as I reach forward and wrestle the gun out of his hands. Once the weapon is in my possession, I drive the butt of the pistol into the place right between his eyes. He stumbles backwards, blindly clocking me in the face. I trip over my feet, falling backwards onto my butt. But I don't waste precious time moaning in pain on the floor, for I'm getting back up to my feet and bashing his head multiple times with his own handgun.

"Holy shit," Derek is mumbling, and he's on the ground at this point. I don't care though, because I'm so pissed off that I'm pulling the trigger of the gun and shooting the floor right next to his head.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I'm enraged, pulling my leg back and kicking him as hard as I can in the stomach. He coughs in pain, his body twitching and moving away from my foot. But I do it again, and then I'm stomping on his chest. I aim the gun back at his body. "You can hurt me, Derek. You can hurt me, and you can insult me, and you can break everything I am, but you do fuckinng not mess with my family." I pull the trigger again, wincing as the bullet finds its way into his left arm. He groans, his lips parting and his eyes widening in pain. "You sick bastard."

I'm not a murderer.

I'm not a murderer.

I'm not a murderer.

I drop the gun next to his body, turning around and pulling my phone out of my bra. I unlock it with trembling hands, quickly tapping the keypad and dialing 911 immediately. I fall to my knees next to Patrick, and I almost burst out in tears at that second when I see the pain in his cloudy eyes. He's on his back, a hand over the wound, trying to stop the bleeding. I'm relieved beyond belief to see the wound is on his right side, and I'm praying to God, begging that it hasn't pierced his heart or aorta or his vena cava. I hit loudspeaker on my phone, putting it on the ground and getting to work.

"911, what's your emergency?" The familiar line is said through the speaker, and I'm bursting into tears immediately.

"I-I-i need medical assistance." I try to calm my voice and make my words clear, but I'm thinking of all those times I was in grade school and that police officer with corny humour would come and teach us about safety. There was one time he came to my old school when I was a young girl, and he said 911 should only be used if there is an emergency, and one of the reasons to use it is if someone's life is in danger. Patrick's life is in danger.