Chapter 18

I know it's been forever, please don't hate me. This semester's been the hardest out of all of my high school life. Today started a holiday break, so I decided to upload:)

You what, Edwin? You think you what?

I squeezed my eyes tightly only to open them and find that the pitch darkness wasn't a dream. The power really blew out.

I felt Edwin's grip on my shoulder tighten slightly as if to see if I was still there. I heard scuffling and realized he’d just stood to his feet. “Stephanie?” he whispered.

“Right here,”

“I think the power cut out.”

Total darkness and complete silence was filled in the entire store. I must’ve not noticed, but we were the only two in the store…in the very back, surrounded by clusters of equipment. Did I mention how clumsy I can be, especially in the dark?

“Oh, really, I didn’t know.” I whispered back sarcastically.

Then, there was a quick banging on the door in the front of the store. A round-shaped man with a hat stood outside.

“Um…” I mumbled, beginning to feel a little frightened but some random stranger trying to get in an obviously closed store. Edwin looked toward the door and slowly began making his way toward the front. Before he could get any closer, I grabbed his arm, holding him back. “Wait– no, where are you going?”

“Stephanie, he’s trying to get in.”

I gave him my craziest expression yet. Hasn’t his mother ever told him to not answer the door to strangers? I tugged on his arm. “Are you crazy? That man might be crazy murderer!” I tried my best to keep my voice calm, but Edwin’s actions were making me quite upset.

“That’s Angelo. He probably came back to get us.”

I looked toward the front door and let go of his arm. “Well, don’t leave me here!”

Bouncing to my feet carefully, I followed Edwin’s way. When I got close enough, I clenched the back of his shirt for better guidance through the dark store. As we neared the front door, I noticed a white fluff pouring from the black skies. The substance hit the ground swiftly, causing a blur as to what it was. Angelo’s shaking being caught my attention as he banged on the glass door once more. I carefully glanced at Edwin as I waited for him to open the door, only to find him in the same trance-like state I was a few seconds ago, staring into the white blur that was ahead of us.

“What is that?” I found my voice, looking back out into the outside.

“I don’t know,” he whispered, his voice sounding almost ghostly. “It can’t be snow. That’s impossible. It doesn’t snow in Florida.”