Chapter 13

Adrien lifted his steaming teacup to his lips. The scorching liquid poured into his mouth, sending an itchy sensation over the top of his tongue. With his eyes watering, Adrien quickly lowered the teacup and took a painful gulp of the searing hot beverage.

"Marinette's really taking her time, huh?" Adrien managed to get out through his pain.

"Uh, would you like a refill for your tea?" Alya asked awkwardly.

Adrien glanced down at his teacup, where the warmth of the boiling liquid absorbed into his palms.

"I only took one sip," Adrien laughed, "But thanks, though."

Elsewhere, Marinette stood in front of a table crowding with customers. She had gotten dressed in a black waitress outfit and had her dark hair tied up in a bun. Her eyebrow twitched when she heard Alya repeat the question she just asked her customers.

"Can we order, actually?" A woman requested.

Marinette's teeth clamped down around her tongue to avoid spitting out any words. In silence, the blue-haired waitress smiled at the customers and gave them a nod. She took out a pen and notepad as the customers began listing items off the menu.

"So I got peking duck, pork dumplings, and chow mein," Marinette said, "Anything el一"

Marinette stopped talking when Alya's voice sounded in her ear. Sweat beaded her forehead while her thoughts became a river of foul language. She pressed her lips tightly together to avoid saying anything more.

"So I got peking duck, pork dumplings, and chow mein," Alya repeated, her lips forming a shaky smile.

Adrien nodded, "Sounds good to me."

Marinette released the breath that she had been holding. However, her inner peace was short lived when one of the customers in front of her spoke up.

"What kind of beer do you guys have?" A man asked.

Marinette took a quick gulp, "Um, we have Kronenbourg 1664, Grimbergen, Pelforth, or La Parisienne."

The bluenette's middle and pointer fingers crossed into a tight knot, hoping that her best friend wouldn't repeat her words this time.

Elsewhere, Alya raised an eyebrow as her eyes scanned through the drinks menu. She raised the menu in front of her face before speaking into the
earpiece.

"Marinette, I can't remember all of that," Alya whispered.

"Who are you talking to?" Adrien asked.

Alya slammed the menu flat on the table. With a laugh, her hand rubbed the back of her neck, which must have been the same temperature as the tea on their table.

"Oh, nobody!" Alya glanced down at the menu in front of her, "Uh, what kind of beer would you like?"

At the sound of Alya's words, Marinette furrowed her eyebrows. The feeling of secondhand embarrassment impaled her like a razor sharp spear. Before the customer could even speak, the waitress lifted her notepad in front of her face and tilted her head down.

"Alya, time out!" Marinette whisper shouted, "I'll tell you when you can一"

"Mademoiselle?" The concerned customer called.

Marinette quickly lowered her notepad to her chest height and straightened her posture. Her practiced smile came back as she continued working with her customers.

"Sorry, Monsieur. What can I get for you?"

Back at the table Adrien raised an eyebrow the second he heard Alya's question.