Chapter 26

The raging whirlwind continued to pass through the burned ruins of the large city. With each minute that passed, more and more citizens have fallen into victims of an akuma. At this point, the entire city might as well have gotten akumatized into villains. Massive flames covered the ground and buildings, adding to all the fiery destruction of chaos.

Ladybug and Chat Noir stood facing their opponent, their lungs heaving in an attempt to catch their breaths. The fire below them only made it harder to breathe, intensifying the heat from the battle. Gray clouds of smoke rose from below them, clogging up their throats. Ladybug's bluebell eyes scanned the area around them, trying to figure out a way to use the kite that had been given to her from her Lucky Charm.

Her little scavenger hunt cut off when Divertia sank to her knees. She kept one hand on her staff against the floor while her other hand pressed shakily against her chest. With her face scrunched up, a violent fit of coughs escaped her throat. Stains as red as Ladybug's suit splattered against the floor in the process. The wide eyed Ladybug gasped in horror at the sight.

"Bridgette!"

Holding her hand out in a nonthreatening way, the superhero took a couple steps towards the villain. Internal panic built up inside Chat Noir as his partner stepped closer and closer to the villain, leaving herself completely vulnerable.

"Ladybug, be careful!"

Before Ladybug could get any closer, Divertia shot her head back up. Gritting her teeth, the villain lunged towards the duo. Before either of them had time to react, Divertia's staff came into contact with Ladybug's stomach. Ladybug flew back from the force, tumbling into her partner who stood behind her. From the impact of Ladybug's body hitting him, Chat Noir's fingers loosened around his staff. The staff rolled away from his reach, coming to a halt right next to Divertia's feet.

Chat Noir landed flat on his stomach while Ladybug fell over the edge of the tower. Ignoring his staff, Chat Noir scrambled to the edge as quickly as he could. He reached his hand down, gripping onto Ladybug's hand before she could fall any further. The upper half of his body hung over the edge while he used his free hand for support.

"Hold on, Ladybug," Chat Noir said, attempting to pull her up.

Ladybug looked below her, where her feet dangled above the scorching flames below her. The intense heat of these raging infernos absorbed through her suit, spreading the heat through her body. Her eyes then landed on the red and black spotted kite dangling from her fingers. Chat Noir shot a glance over his shoulder, where Divertia was now making her way towards them. A panicked gasp came into his lungs as he looked back at Ladybug.

"Let go of me!" Ladybug insisted, looking up at him.

Chat Noir shook his head, "No! I'm not letting you go again!"

Chat Noir tightened his grip around her hand in a desperate attempt to save her at all costs. He refused to let her slip from his fingers like last time. He couldn't lose her.

Not again.

His fingers held her hand so tightly that his entire arm shook from the sheer amount of strength he was using. One of Ladybug's eyes closed shut, flinching from the tremendous tightness around her hand.

"Please!" Ladybug begged, "You have to let me go!"

Still, Chat Noir refused. It was as if his hand had been super glued to hers.

"I lost you the last time I let you go!" Chat Noir shouted, his eyes burning both from his tears and the polluted air stinging them, "I'm not letting go no matter what!"

Ladybug reopened her eye, now staring into Chat Noir's shimmering eyes. A small pair of tears trickled down his cheeks as memories of losing her flashed through him. He could never forget the fear that was present in those eyes that once sparkled like the emeralds at a jewelry store一the first time he has ever seen her truly terrified, like she knew there was no hope in saving her from that fall. The deafening crack of her body hitting the ground still remained an echo in his ears. How he had been so close to saving her, yet still held the weight of her corpse in his arms will forever stick with him.