Chapter 9

Cherry

After Lionblazes' visit me and Tilly and Jayfeather sat around and ate, then me and Tilly would chattered on about things and even sometimes Jayfeather would add things to the conversation or answer our questions. Then when the sun was highest in the sky a loud meow broke through and interrupted our conversation. 

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey meet here below the High Ledge for a clan meeting" the powerful voice of Bramblestar called. 

I titled my head slightly, were we suppose to go into the clearing? We hadn't caught any prey and we weren't exactly members of Thunderclan. I looked at Jayfeather for an answer and got an eye roll. 

"Go on you two! The meeting is about you!" Jayfeather snapped then he padded out into the clearing. 

I stood with Tilly following me and quickly padded out of the den after Jayfeather, nervousness was attacking my stomach and everything seemed fuzzy as if my head were spinning. The blind  Jayfeather directed us basically to the center of the clearing and amongst the crowd I caught sight of Lionblaze smiling but happiness wasn't on every cat's face. 

Some cats were glaring at me and Tilly, sizing us up as if we weren't good enough and others looked unsure maybe they thought we were dangerous or something I knew it would take a while to feel truly accepted. 

"Cats of Thunderclan this is an unusual day" Bramblestar began, the attention shifted from us to him "But me and Squirrelflight believe it is right to hold these cats naming ceremony, we want you all to welcome them as if you would welcoming any other Thunderclan cat, loner or not" he finished sharply, fixing the crowd with a demanding, powerful stare; no one protested. 

"Tilly please step forward" Bramblestar meowed, my sister happily bounded forward and met Bramblestar on the ground after he leaped off the High Ledge. "Tilly you are six moons of age and  until you recieve your warrior name you shall be known as Dawnpaw" 

Tilly or Dawnpaw smiled brightly, the name suited her very well but Bramblestar was not finished. 

"Squirrelflight" Bramblestar meowed, the bright ginger she-cat with the one white paw padded toward Dawnpaw "You will be mentor to Dawnpaw, teach her our codes, ways and techniques and most of all train her to become a brave warrior of Thunderclan for I have trust in you" 

"Of course" Squirrelflight meowed seriously then she moved to press her nose to Dawnpaw's, Dawnpaw looked confused for a moment and hesitated but then nearly jumped up to touch noses with her mentor. 

There was a moment of pause, no one cheering, silence I could nearly hear Dawnpaw's heart breaking with each growing second then somewhere in the crowd Lionblaze's now familiar meow cried out cheerfully, then another and another and within moments the whole crowd was cheering. 

"Cherry please step forward" Bramblestar purred after a moment, I stepped forward trying to be confident "Cherry you are too old to be apprenticed so I will give you a warrior name but you will still need a mentor" 

"Cherry from this day on you will be known as Skyheart in honor of your wishes" Bramblestar meowed, my heart jumped for joy hopefully mother would be proud "Skyheart do you promise to uphold the ways of the noble code and protect your clan even with your life?" he asked. 

I gulped, then looked around the crowd, so many faces and pelts I didn't know but something tugged at my heart something telling me that these cats would become my family even if it took time. 

"Yes" I told Bramblestar, he nodded with a smile. 

Then Bramblestar surveyed the crowd for a moment, looking for a suitable warrior to look after me and teach me all their ways then his eyes settled on some cat. 

"Lionblaze" he called, my heart hammered in my chest so loud I swore Bramblestar could hear it  and I could feel a blush spreading under my fur... 

Why was I acting so oddly, Lionblaze was going to be my mentor that was it, that was all! Then why was there a part of my hoping that wasn't true...

Lionblaze strode out of the crowd, clearly many cats were shocked at the choice but Lionblaze seemed happy and I was too but I couldn't let him know that. 

"Lionblaze you are a good loyal, brave warrior who discovered these two in the first place so I trust you to train Skyheart to become an amazing warrior with the same traits you pride yourself in" Bramblestar meowed more serious then before.

Lionblaze dipped his head and flicked his golden tail. 

"Don't worry!" he meowed earning a laugh from the crowd even my whiskers twitched. 

He turned to me then he pushed his nose closer to mine, I sucked in some air and closed my eyes. I could feel the blush spread when our noses made contact, my heart hammered again and I pulled away slightly embarrassed, he smirked noticing my reaction. 

"You mousebrain" I growled with a laugh.