Chapter 7

Cherry

That morning I woke for the first time well rested and with a full belly, the medicine cat den had proven to be a comfy den and even offered me the feeling of being protected something I hadn't felt since our den burnt down. 

I blinked open my eyes and yawned gradually, Jayfeather was at the back of the den sorting some kind of herb and Tilly was lying beside me breathing gently and soundly. 

"Good morning" Jayfeather meowed. 

"Morning" I replied "What time is it?" I asked. 

"Just after dawn" Jayfeather answered. 

"Oh" 

"Not a lot of cats are up so you might as well-" Jayfeather continued but he was cut off by the loud rustling at the entrance of the den, cats were entering, their scent was famaliar yet I couldn't place a name or face to it. 

"Bramblestar, Squirrelflight" Jayfeather meowed instantly. 

The large board shouldered tabby, Bramblestar entered the den with the lithe ginger Squirrelflight beside him. 

"I have come to speak with Cherry and Tilly" Bramblestar meowed. 

"About?" I asked curiously. 

"About you staying in the clan" he replied matter-o-factually, I sucked in a deep breath realizing I hadn't made a choice about what I wanted. 

"I'll wake Tilly" I meowed.

I placed a gentle paw on Tilly's white shoulder and shook her lightly, instantly she sprang awake and looked around the den wildly unaware of her surroundings when she locked eyes with me she relaxed. 

"Yes?" she asked sleepily. 

"Bramblestar and Squirrelflight want to talk with us" I told her, her eyes grew wide with excitement. 

"Oh really? About what?" she buzzed happily suddenly awake. 

"Staying in the clan" I responded a bit reproachfully, her green eyes looked up to meet mine and for a moment I could see a flash of understanding, could she see that I was apprehensive about joining clan life? 

"Yes" Bramblestar interrupted with his deep calming meow "But if you chose to stay there a few codes you must follow"

I gulped and nodded slowly, hopefully it wasn't something crazy like getting a scar torn into your shoulder or something. 

"The codes are really quite simple" Squirrelflight resured probably noticing my concerned expression. 

"The first is defend your Clan, even with your life. You may have friendships with cats from other Clans but your loyalty must remain to your Clan, as one day you may meet them in battle" Bramblestar meowed.

"Do not hunt or trespass on another Clan's territory" Squirrelflight continued for her leader. 

"Elders, queens and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors (because they cannot hunt for their own). Unless they have premission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders. If  any warrior or apprentice is sick or injured, they may eat while the elders, queens and kits are eating" Bramblestar continued, that seemed fair and honest. 

And they went on covering all the rules...

Prey is killed only to be eaten. Give thanks to Starclan for it's life.

A kit must be at least six moons to become an apprentice 

Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their warrior name, that one seemed a bit odd to me but I did not dare question it.