Chapter 37 [the one with jenny]

Chapter 37

I dreaded the coming of March. I know I'm supposed to be excited because this will be the last stretch for this semester and we will graduate before the end of the month. But I can't be entirely happy because this also meant one thing: Cyrus is leaving.

The night before his flight, I couldn't stop crying in my room. Because my heart is breaking for all of them. I know it wasn't the easiest decision both for him and Jillian, and I can't imagine the pain they're going through right now.

They—Jillian decided to end the relationship. She doesn't want to try a long-distance one because she knows full well that if they stay that way, Cyrus will leave everything behind the moment something happens to her. She set him free so he could pursue his dream and for once, he could think about himself. For him to focus on reaching his goals without worrying about a single thing.

I know she only wants the best for him that's why she wants to make the sacrifice. But I can't help but wonder . . . sa pagsasakripisyo lang ba nasusukat ang tunay na pagmamahal? Sa pagpapalaya ba talaga napapatunayan ang wagas na pag-ibig?

Is it selfish for her to want to keep Cyrus around? Is it wrong for them to choose the relationship instead? Was it necessary for them to break up? Do they really need to let go of their relationship to pursue their dreams?

Sabi ni Sash sa'kin hindi masamang bumitaw kapag hindi ka naman mahal. Pero paano kapag sobrang mahal niyo naman ang isa't isa? Hindi ba't kasalanan ang sumuko?

Ang daming tanong na gumugulo sa isip ko. Tanong na hindi ko alam ang tamang sagot. After all, I haven't been in a relationship myself. So, I don't know.

It was so hard to put myself to sleep because I was anxious. But when I finally did, I woke up in the middle of the night because I dreamt of Guian. In my dream, he was alone in the dark, crying. I didn't want to wake up the following day because I know that dream will become a reality.

I wasn't myself when I went to the office the next day. My mind was wandering elsewhere. I was doing my task but I was aloof the whole time.

Mabuti na lang at half-day kami dahil kukunin namin sa photo studio ang mga graduation pictures namin. Nagsabi ako kay Elysse na hindi ako sasabay kasi gusto ko munang mapag-isa. Alam ko kasi na kahit naman magkasama kami, hindi rin ako magiging good company. I feel like a trainwreck today and I couldn't function well.

It was afternoon and I was alone in Greenbelt Park when I sent Japheth a message.

My hands were shaking while I was typing.

Me: Nakaalis na si Cy?

Hindi ko mapigilan ang mga luha ko habang nakatingin ako sa message na sinend ko. Just reading my question is already breaking my heart into little pieces. It was like tasting a poison that's slowly killing my insides.

I closed my eyes and waited for Japheth's reply.

When my phone vibrated, it was so painful to read Japh's answer.

Japheth Ephraim Bautista: Yes.

My tears kept on falling.

He left.

Cyrus left.

He had to leave the love of his love. The only woman he adored. The only woman he loved his entire life.

He had to leave his friends, too.

He left with a heavy and unwilling heart. With a contrite and a broken spirit.