Chapter 17

John POV

Sera and I wait until they leave to start dragging the pair back to Wellston, using her ability, which I copy, of course. It may not be faster for us, but less time will have passed by the time we arrive. "So why are we bringing them to Wellston?" Sera asks me. "Because the Authorities can't be trusted." I respond. "You would put your past above your cousin's safety?" She asks me. "It's not just my past, Sera. It's his too. And Remi's." I say. "Care to elaborate?" She asks. "Those are not my stories to tell." I respond simply. "Then who are we bringing them to?" She questions.

"Vaughn." I reply. "The headmaster?!" She exclaims. "You know any other Vaughns?" I joke. "I'm just surprised, is all. Why bring them to him?" She asks, wanting answers. "Because he's one of the few with the same knowledge and view of the Authorities as myself, Luke and Remi." I explain. "And what view is that?" She inquires. "I already said: that they can't be trusted." I say. "Right. So, I know about you, but why do Remi and Luke have the same viewpoint?" She asks. "Short version: Remi lost someone close to her, and the Authorities have done nothing about it. Luke took it pretty hard when I was taken in by them, and he also lost someone close to him." I explain. "And the long version? Since we have time anyways." She prompts. "I have not been given permission to tell the long versions, and the only one who knows Luke's full story is himself." I say. "Okay then."

After that, we chat about everyday things: classes, Woaba Boba, etc., all the way back to Wellston. "We'd best get a move on. Don't want to delay this." I say, picking up my pace. Soon, we arrive at the school, where we are greeted by Keene, who undoubtedly sensed the incredibly strong abilities of the people we were carrying.

"What happened?!?" He exclaims when he sees that me and Sera were carrying them. "First off, can you take us to Vaughn? Second, we'd like to wait for the rest of our group before we say anything. Mostly because we know about as much as you." I say. "Fine. Who are the other members of the group?" He asks. "Remi, Isen, Blyke and Luke." I list. "Then I will await them. But first, let's get you to Vaughn, and get these two restrained." He says. "Thank you, sir." I respond as we head inside.