Chapter 13: Just Tourin'

3 YEARS LATER……………………………………………

“Gosh, I’m so nervous” I say with a heavy sigh. I’m looking in the mirror. I’m looking at how much my face has changed. How much I have grown. I still, had those beautiful, round brown eyes, the curly dark brown hair, the tan skin, the pink lips, and the long eyelashes, yet I still can’t believe that today was the day that I was going to enter into the life of a college gal. Everything was in the past. And this was the present.

Today was August 23rd. Today Darlene, Amanda, and I are going to officially become students at USF.

At that moment my mom knocks on the door. “Hey, how’s it going in there? Is everything OK? Can I come in?” She says not wanting to be too pushy.

“Yeah” I say, slowly sliding the door open. She sees how my eyes were filling with water all of a sudden. Even I didn’t understand what was falling from my eyes.

“Awww, I’m going to miss you, too. But don’t worry, you can call whenever you want. I’m only an hour away.” She said, not trying to make it sound worse.

An hour away? That’s far for me. She knew that, from her response. My mom and I have always been so close. We have always had a strong relationship. But I couldn’t do this. I couldn’t back down. All 3 of us, Amanda, Darlene, and I have always told ourselves, that no matter what we were going to study, that we would go to the same school. Well, at least for our prerequisites. We had pinky sworn on it.

And we kept our word. We are all going to walk through those doors. Darlene with the dream of wanting to become an Obstetrician. Amanda and I with becoming a Journalists. But I have time. Anyways, this happens to everyone, right?

I didn’t have to think, though. Right now we have to get everything in the car, and get to campus by 11 AM.

The car ride was the longest ever. It felt like 6 hours not one. But it was worth it. The instant I stepped out of the car, took a whiff of the “College Air”, and saw the enormous buildings, I fell in love. Not like that, but it was everything I had imagined. And I was glad. All of my butterflies just flew away. How could I be nervous?

I was asking my question for the entire day. Once we reached registration and signed in, I found out that Darlene and I were assigned to the same dorm. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” We both yelled, at the highest pitch possible, forcing all heads to turn to us. Awkward. On the other hand, Amanda got a single-dorm, which has its benefits, and it’s only 2 doors down, but she is just as ecstatic!!!

We all parted our ways and Darlene and I ran to our room, leaving or parents far behind with the bags… We’re so bad. We barged in through the door, and chose the bed we both wanted. Darlene pushed me out of the way jumping on the bed closer to the door. In a way I wanted that one so I’m able to run out faster, if there was a fire, or something, but I like windows. Although, that’s where burglars come in through. Too late.

Trying to catch our breaths, the moms and dads walk in. They help us unpack, with tears in their eyes as I see many more parents already saying good-bye to their ducklings. That’s going to be us in a couple of minutes.

Once we were all done, our parents gave us the tightest hugs in the world. I felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my head in a minute.

We cried so hard that the room was going to be flooded by the time they actually do leave. Believe me or not they did quickly. “OK we have to go. The longer we stay the harder it will be to actually say good-bye.” She trailed off at the end. I pulled away as my mom wiped my tear and pushed my hair behind my ear.