Chapter 3: For The First Time...

• Dedicated to Abdiel Medina

I dedicate this chapter to my good friend from back in Elementary School...We just found each other after a whole year with no communication!!! <3

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I sat against the wall and dialed her number multiple times. It just rang, and rang, and rang. No answer. “Uuuuggghhh” I growl a bit loudly. I cover my mouth, hoping no one heard that. All of a sudden, I see a flash light pointing right at me. Who is that?

“Hey what are you doing out here?” I hear a voice say. Soon I can see him. Oh my gosh, it’s Shawn. He comes and sits next to me, but I didn’t say anything. He’s still flashing the light at me.

“Hi” I say. “Hey I’m Shawn. I’m one of the boys’ counselors.”

“Oh really, I haven’t seen you here before.” I lied. “By the way, I’m Valerie.”

“Nice to meet you. And I had to play guitar.”

“Oh yeah, now I know.”

“So what are you doing out here” he says as he leans over to look at my phone. He sees the One Direction wallpaper I had and smiles.

“Ummm, I was trying to call my mom, and I couldn’t sleep.”

“Right.” He says in a doubtful tone.

“And I know I shouldn’t be asking you this, but aren’t you supposed to be inside making sure the boys are safely sleeping?”

“Yeah, but I was helping clean the tables.”

“Right” I mimicked. It gets quiet and we both yawn at the same time. “HAHAHAHAHA.”

“So what grade are you in? Well going to?”

“I’m going to 9th and I’m turning 15 in September.”

“Oh fresh meat. Yeah, I remember when I was 15.”

“That was probably 1000 years ago”

“HAHA, no I’m actually just 19.” He said as I thought ‘I already know that.’ “I use to come here myself. But I’m a sophomore at USF.”

“Oh, that’s a good school. I’ve actually thought of going there.” I say looking at my feet.

“Cool.” He says as I nod. “You look familiar. Did you come here last summer?” he says totally changing the topic.

“No, but my brother ---.”

“Wait, you’re Daniel’s sister?” “Yeah” I say, thinking how rude that was of him to interrupt me.

 “Yeah I remember seeing you in his cabin earlier today. And he came last year. I remembered you from when you came to pick him up. That was you right?”

“Yeah. WOW you have a good memory.”

“I don’t know if this is appropriate, but how can I forget such a pretty girl, like you?” he says as I begin to blush. “Actually that’s not appropriate to say because I am a camper. I say with a grin on my face. “Well sorry. You’re right.” He says glumly. 

“OK, I have to go inside. Nobody knows I’m here.” “So you didn’t ask for permission?” he says as I look up and shake my head. He raises his eyebrows. “OK, bye.” I say beginning to stand up.

“Hey, do you have any suggestions of activities to do?” “I hear archery, worship arts, and rock climbing/zip lining are fun. Actually I’m the leader of the rock climbing/zip lining activity.” He says elbowing me softly. “That’s good because that was the one that really grabbed my attention.” I smile.

“Great.” He smiles back. “I really have to go. See you tomorrow.” “Bye” he says reaching for a hug. I give him a hug. And I can seriously feel my legs shaking. There was like an earthquake occurring in me at that very moment. I felt like Jell-O. And I know that Shawn noticed.

We both started towards our room, when we both look back at each other. “At least now you have a new friend. You won’t be lonely.” “Oh believe me I wouldn’t have anyways… My best friends came with me.” I say putting 2 thumbs up in a corny way.

That was that. I went inside and went back to sleep. Wait! What am I saying? I had just gotten the first hug from my crush. I didn’t sleep. I can only continuously replay that night in my head. I need to tell someone. The sun needs to rise. 7 AM needs to come now… With that my eyes slowly shut.