Back Home Again*

-- Author's Note: This is a spin off of Diary of a Girl from Seattle. There's some backstory there, but it got bogged down with old Grey's chapters so this will be primarily Station 19 focused, with some Grey's crossovers.  Enjoy! -- xo G

Dear Diary,

Hey! It's me, Mattie. I just finished my undergrad at NYU and arrived back in Seattle last week. Also, in just a few months, I'm going to be starting med school at UW! After spending so many years of my life shadowing at Grey Sloan, it feels amazing to be one step closer to being a doctor there someday. Plus, now that I'm back in the city, I can start shadowing again!

Also! I'll get to continue my work as a paramedic. Getting to serve my community in that way (and gain a ton of hands-on experience treating patients) was something I really loved back in New York, so I reached out to my old neighbor, Captain Pruitt Herrera of Station 19 to see if I could work for him. While it's not customary to have non-firefighters work out of firehouses, he was happy to make an exception and bring me on as a paramedic. After all, he's been like a father to me ever since we moved to Seattle when I was 9. Since my dad died right before we moved, Pruitt really stepped up for me in that way. He taught me how to change a tire, gave me grief about every boy I brought home, and of course, reminded me to change the batteries in my smoke alarms.

Anyway, my first shift is tomorrow and I can't wait to work with his team! Plus, Andy is now a firefighter at his station. She used to babysit me when I was really little and then when I got a little older, we would just hang out. She's always been kind of like an older sister to me, so I'm eager to work with and learn from her. Andy told me the rest of the team is great too, so I'm hoping I get along with them as well as I do with the Herreras. Plus, Ben's been training to be a firefighter and starts at station 19 in a few weeks so it'll be nice to have another familiar face around.

Well, that's all I have for now. Sorry for such a short entry, but I just wanted to get you caught up. My first 24 hour shift starts in 9 hours so I should probably get some sleep. More to come soon!

-Mattie