Chapter 33

I was back on the beach. Blue, foamy waves reached towards the shore, only to vanish into the sand or be pulled back out to the sea again. It was where they belonged, the waves, collectively massed together.

I was alone, and I watched and listened to the waves listlessly breath in and out. Suddenly, I felt a jolt, like a shock to the heart. My skin was sweltering. I needed the water. I needed to submerge myself in the ocean.

The first touch of the licking waves cooled my burning skin. It was exactly what I needed. Assuredly, I stepped further into the ocean, knee deep, waist deep, shoulder deep, until I was completely immersed. The ocean encased but did not threaten me: we were two separate entities, combined for the moment.

Finally cooled, I opened my eyes to find the sun; its rays were penetrating the ocean, calling me to the surface. Kicking my legs off the sandy bottom, I swam upwards. The ocean neither resisted nor propelled me; I was free to do as I pleased. I then broke through the surface and was greeted by the white-hot sun.

I knew what came next. I gingerly lifted my legs and found my knees were boosted upwards and onto the tops of the capping waves. With one last push, I stood atop the expanse of the ocean.

I could walk, run, skip all around and never fall inside. The ocean was supporting me, cooling my feet, and the sun was lighting the way. I felt invincible.

In the distance, the island from which I hailed looked like a tiny blimp. Others, I noticed, were popping up along the horizon. I wanted to travel to one. In the distance, a storm shook and rattled the sky – but I wasn't afraid.

Then a black shadow emerged from the depths of the ocean - a massive, repulsive thing - and was closing in. But fear did not rise; I remained calm. I knew what to do. I kept walking along the surface, headed in the direction of the nearest island, trusting it would provide me with the solace I needed.

When my feet planted onto the new beach, I sank into the warm sand and closed my eyes, listening to the exhaling ocean and feeling the glowing sun.

Back in the calming covers of my bed, my eyes fluttered open. The usual grogginess I experienced when waking was replaced with clarity. For the first time, I felt resolute, as though a new leaf had turned, and I knew, no matter what, I could move forward.

***

After track practice, I showered in the locker room, hopeful most of the other track members would have left by the time I had dried and dressed. This way, I could locate the person I wanted to speak to without the potential for being interrupted.

Rodriguez was in the athletic complex when I emerged from the locker room. He was stooped over a piece of equipment, inspecting it, and his head tilted towards me at the sound of my squeaking shoes. Judging by the look his face, I had surprised him: his charcoal eyes grew wide and his mouth parted. I was the one corning him for a change. "Mitchell – hi – I didn't know anyone was still here."

"Long shower," I said.

Rodriguez stood upright, scratched his ear, and sported a look of curiosity, searching for the reason I had sought him out.

"What's up?" he asked.

"I wanted to talk to you," I said. The floor beneath me was solid; I could continue.

"Shoot." Rodriguez looked the picture of mystified.

"I think – I think I want to run at Western next year."

He almost toppled backwards. "What? Really? Mitchell – really?"

I nodded. "I was hoping you could help me. I know the time has passed for recruitment, but I still want to be on the team."