Chapter 31

I awoke with the sunrise. The bright light streamed in through my window and washed over me, pulling me from my slumber. I felt light, like I hadn't in a while, and I knew it was all in thanks to Ben's family. Even though it had been a few days since the dinner, the memory was still fresh. It had been a long time since I had felt so effortless and included, like I was stepping into something that just fit.

Raising my arms above my head in a stretch, I caught sight of the grey material swathed over my body and pulled the fabric to my face. The crewneck still smelled of Ben, even though I had slept in it the last three nights.

Stripping the covers away, I placed two feet on the floor -- my sunny mood impenetrable -- and thought about what I had planned on doing this morning. It was Saturday, the day of my concert, but there was something I wanted to do beforehand. Excitedly racing from my door to the bathroom, I started the shower and thought about the look on Ben's face when I showed up at The Village Bakery that morning. I had been promised a lemon poppy seed muffin, and I planned on getting one.

x

The Village Bakery was a quaint shop downtown. Large factory windows graced the front, exposing brick walls and wood floors throughout. A few eclectic tables and chairs were scattered inside, and when I pushed open the door, a faint jingling sounded to announce my arrival.

"Be with you in a second."

I knew the voice immediately, and I found a smile had appeared on my mouth, but this time I was well aware of the reason behind it. The anticipation of seeing Ben in an apron with a tray of baked goods was giving me more joy than I knew what to do with.

Edging towards the front counter, I noticed a large display of mouth-watering muffins, cookies, and scones, yet even the beautiful arrangement couldn't take away from the eagerness to try one of Ben's famous lemon poppy seed muffins. It was the only thing I wanted.

"Sorry," Ben's voice said, but he was still hidden somewhere in the back. "What can I get --"

He appeared a second later and stopped in his tracks, and I was wildly pleased to see an apron did, in fact, hang around his frame.

"Hi, Ben," I said.

"Elliot?" He inched closer.

"You said you worked weekends, so I thought I'd take my chances." I leaned my elbows against the counter. Ben was still watching me curiously with a slackened mouth. "So, I believe you said I would get to try your famous muffins if I came by."

Ben remained wordless for a few more seconds, but a crooked grin soon found its way on his mouth, and he said, "I did promise you that, didn't I?"

"And you said I'd not be able to leave without a dozen, so" -- I met his gaze -- "I'm expecting to be impressed."

Ben was quiet again, his eyes not budging from mine. "And you won't be," he said finally. "You'll be begging for the recipe, but it's a secret. So, don't ask." He lent me another smile. "If you sit down, I can take my break and bring one out to you in a couple of couple minutes."

I pushed myself off the counter. "See you in a couple minutes. Bring the best one."

Walking deeper into the shop, I flipped my head around before sitting at one of the tables and saw Ben watching me still, almost as though I might be figment of his imagination. He quickly disappeared soon after, and I was left to enjoy the warm atmosphere of the shop against the backdrop of quiet acoustic music.

A small ivory plate with an oversized muffin was suddenly placed before me. It smelled incredibly delicious.

"There you are, one lemon poppy seed muffin," Ben said as he took a seat in the opposite chair.