Chapter 29

The pet store had been dead all day. So, when six o'clock rolled around, the doorbell jingling as if it were chiming the time, I spun around in surprise while restocking pet food. What I saw nearly made everything in my hands tumble to the floor.

Cambrie was standing just before the front door, her expression tight and hands clasped at her waist. I didn't dare move for fear of scaring her off. Ever since the party, I had desperately been wanting to speak with her, to not only apologize for my behavior, but for everything else as well.

She spoke first.

"Hey, Ell."

I took a tentative step forward.

"Hi."

We exchanged a pair of uncertain glances before both breaking down at the same time:

"I'm so sorry, I've been such an idiot –"

"- It's all my fault, I'm sorry about everything."

Laughing unabashedly, we drew towards one another, hugging on the spot. Her embrace was warm and welcome and felt like home. I had missed Cambrie dearly and told her so:

"I've missed you."

"Me too," Cambrie said, pulling back. "Life's pretty uneventful without you."

"Psh," I said in disbelief. "I think you've got that backwards."

We laughed again.

"Really, Cambrie, I'm sorry. So sorry. You were right – I was being a hypocrite."

Cambrie waved a hand in the air, deflecting the comment. "Doesn't matter."

"Yes, it does," I stated. "I should have been open with you about my mom. It would have been so much better, not just for us, but for me in the long run."

Cambrie offered me a genuine smile, her dark eyes searching mine.

"You can talk to me about your mom when you feel ready."

"I'm ready, Cambrie." I meant it.

"Well," she said, taking in a breath and wrapping her hand around my wrist, the act proving I wasn't dreaming, "we don't have to talk about it now – not unless you want to."

"Okay," I said, thankful to have her back.

"But I do have to tell you – you were right."

"About what?"

"Jake," Cambrie sighed.

Realization dawned on me, and Cambrie was quick to read my cue.

"I like him. Really like him. And I don't know what to do about it."

"That's great!" I exclaimed.

"You'd think so," she said through a broken smile.

"What is it?" I asked.

Cambrie then glanced behind me. Heavy footfalls had descended down the stairs leading to Erikson's apartment. He would be visible any second. 

"Can we talk – later, I mean – I could come to your house?"

"Sure," I said. "Come by tonight, if you want."

"I will." Cambrie adjusted her ponytail before she said, "Hi, Erikson."

"Hey. Long time no see."

With a quick glance towards me, Cambrie said, "You'll be seeing plenty of me from now on."

Cambrie had left, and Erikson and I were closing the pet store. It was nearly time for us to leave, and not a moment too soon - I was both starving and eager to see Cambrie again.