Chapter 38: Action speak louder than voice

"Feeling that come back are feeling that never left." -Frank Ocean

Elsie POV

"Rise and shine, love." I heard a familiar voice penetrated my eardrums. Someone caressed my cheek. I slowly lifted my head from the bed searching for the voice.

"You are finally awake," I exclaimed, glad to see the view in front of me. I showed him a big smile.

"How long have you awake?" I asked looking at the time.

"Long enough to mesmerize your sleeping face." He teased with a sweet smile on his face.

"How are you? Feeling better?" I asked in concern, ignoring his remark earlier.

"I'm glad you are worried about me." He ignored my question.

"Who said I'm worried about you." I wanted to test his reaction.

"This proved it." He lifted his knuckles that were wrapped by my hand and a smug smile crept on his lips. I didn't realize that I was still holding his hand. I released his hand immediately but he wouldn't allow it to happen instead he intertwined our fingers together. I didn't wriggle as I don't want to add more pain to his bruised knuckles or maybe this was what I wanted, to have him holding me tightly.

"This doesn't prove anything." Play hard to get might be my expertise.

"How about the confession?" He asked while eyeing me, narrowed his eyes.

"What confession?" I don't think he heard about what I said at the villa and last night. I arched my eyebrows waiting for his reply.

"You know what I meant. Tell me, I want to hear it again." He plays with my hand while the nervousness erupted in my stomach.

"I don't know what are you talking about. We have something more important to talk about. Do you know how dangerous it is for you to take the bullet for me like that? Don't do it again next time, I can take the bullet myself." I scolded him recalled the incident that happened yesterday. I felt guilty as I was the reason behind this.

"You don't know how dangerous the bullet is." Now his face turned serious.

"I don't-" Before I could finish my sentence, he interrupted me by placing his index finger on my lips, shushing me.

"Listen, love. I don't care how many times this will happen but I will still repeat the same thing for you. I won't let any bullet touch your skin. I will be your shield as long as I'm still alive. I won't let anyone hurt you, not even a single hair." I kissed his lips when he finished his statement. This is my best way to show him how much his confession touched my soul and how much his action makes me fall in love. This is my confession, in my own way.

Dexter POV

"What is that for?" I was bewildered by her sudden kiss. It was too sudden and I didn't expect that to come. I stared at her face waiting for her response.

"The confession that you asked for earlier, silly." She chuckled while my mind still digests what happened earlier. I grinned when I realized what she meant.

"Can you do that again?" I pleaded with hope.

"No, a good thing happened only once." She giggles while running away from my side. I grunted with frustration.

"No," I protested and pulled off the IV drips from my wrist. I stood up from the bed and wanted to come closer to her.

"Hey, what are you doing? You need to bed rest." She tried to stop me and walked towards me. She gently pushed me down making me sit on the bed.

"Repeat it if you don't want me to chase you around," I warned. I know I could win her over with my condition right now. She will surrender to me.

"You are so stubborn. Can you be a good boy for one time?" She shook her head, defeated by my action.

"You knew that I'm not a good boy. I'm the bad mafia-like you said." I said raised my brows. "So, when can-" I was cut off by her sudden attack again. She stood in between my parted legs. She placed her arms on my shoulder and slowly wrapped the back of my neck. She kissed my lips for the second time today.

After a moment, I sensed that she wants to break the kiss but I stopped her with my arm wrapped on her waist while my other hand pushed the back of her head closer to me. With that, I deepen the kiss and took control. I broke the kiss to allow both of us to catch our breath. I rested my forehead on hers.

"I love your confession," I said cupping her face and turned my head up to take a look at her. She smiled shyly and buried her face on the crook of my neck, hide her blushed face away from my sight.

"And I love your answer, too." She whispered, wrapped me tightly with her hands.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤