Chapter Fifteen

Recap:

It's only when the horse-ridden coach pulls away that Mary turns to me and conveys any sign of emotion.

"I'm sorry!" She exclaims. "I had to lie to you!"

Chapter Fifteen

“What?” I say, scrunching my face up in an equal mixture of curiosity and confusion. 

Mary takes my hand and squeezes it before confessing to me, “I was not relieved permanently from my position. It was a temporary thing, just until today, so that she could be sure that you would cooperate.”

I gawk at Mary in disbelief.

“I was sent away, just so that your mother could ensure that your mental strength, your very spirit would crumble. She knew that as long as I was here, you would have hope. She couldn't let you have that, she wanted you to go through the motions amicably, without trouble. She knew as long as I was here, you would continue to protest.”

The disbelief takes a back seat to the fury bubbling in me like a potion in a witch's cauldron. 

“Why does she want to destroy me?!” I scream, banging my fist against the cushioned seats. Mary does not reply and the rest of the journey is spent in a roiling silence full of outrage (coming from me) and an acquired calm (coming from Mary). 

When we arrive at my home, there are four security guards waiting to hustle me into the house unseen. They do a good job, surrounding Mary and I like a flock of birds until we get into the safety net of the house. They then relax their positions but accompany me up to Emmanuel's quarters.

A woman is waiting there for me, holding up a scarlet dress that is delicately choked in quartz gems. 

“I'll change her.” Mary says, taking the dress. “You wait outside. I'll call you when you're needed.”

Without saying a word in response, the woman retreats from the room. 

Mary walks behind me and begins to untie my dress, all the time talking to me. “I'm sorry I lied to you, but it had to be done. I couldn't make Duchess Adelina suspicious of me.”

“Why? Mother didn't suspect you of anything.” I say, turning and raising my arms as Mary pulls the gown over my head.

Mary looks up at me and I see a gritty determination in her eyes. “Your mother would maybe suspect me... because I am involved in the escape plan Damon has constructed for the two of you.”

“What? How? How are you involved?” I babble.

Mary shakes her head. “That is not important. You will find out when the time comes. For now, you must go along with everything that happens. Do not do anything that can risk the outcome of what Damon and everyone else is working on.”

“Everyone else? Who is everyone else?”

“The less you know, the better.” Mary shushes me and then goes over to the door, beckoning the woman back into the room. 

My hair is taken out of it's complicated up-do and re-styled, with half pinned up and half left to ripple down past my shoulders. My make-up is removed and re-applied in a much more subtle and comfortable way. I take off those tedious heels and am bought purple ballerina shoes. Before I put them on, my tired and sore feet get a chance to soak in a foot bath for a couple of minutes. During this time, a bouquet of flowers, a fresh pair of gloves, a new set of pearl necklaces, two rings to put on my middle fingers and a bracelet are all delivered to my room.