Chapter Six

RECAP:

Damon hauls me rapidly to my feet, spinning me around once before proceeding to lead me to the dining room...

Chapter Six

We sprint to the dining room, where we stop to compose ourselves before opening the door. I enter the dining room with Damon behind me, playing the innocent footman act. 

A beak-nosed, thin-haired, stooped man is sitting opposite Mother, producing drawing after drawing of enlarged and coloured rings. I walk over to Mother, standing behind her chair, gazing down at them.

A sapphire coloured ring catches my eye.

“Can I please have a look at that one?” I ask, pointing to the ring in question. The designer hands the paper to me without a look, his cheeks reddening hideously as our hands brush against each other.

Damon stifles a laugh and Emmanuel frowns, crossing his arms huffily.

I gaze down at the paper, ignoring both of them. The ring is silver with sapphire gems embedded into it. They're cut into octagonal shapes, each of them minute yet jumping from the page. The silver ring seems to be gleaming in the light, even though it's just a drawing on a mere page.

“Do you like this one, dear?” Lady Elizabeth asks me, her hands clasped on the table.

“I love it. It's perfect.” I smile warmly at her, genuinely pleased for once.

I return my gaze to the ring, attempting to etch every curve of it into my mind. 

The engagement doesn't seem so daunting now that I know I could be wearing this ring during it.

“What do you think, Mother?” I ask softly, handing her the paper.

“It is divine.” Mother nods, “We shall have this made, Giorgio. This is the first thing my daughter has chosen for her engagement. She chooses to leave these things to me, you see. Where do you find such trust in the new generation?”

Lady Elizabeth nods earnestly, smiling all the time. I fight the urge to roll my eyes, instead looking over at Damon. He winks and I smile, winking back.

I return my gaze to Mother, “So this will be my engagement ring?”

“Of course, dear. It's what you like, and Lady Elizabeth would never compromise with your choice. She is such a respectable woman.”

“Why, thank you.” Lady Elizabeth smiles again, her haughty nose stuck in the air. I decide I don't like her even more than I didn't like her before.

The designer stands, shoving all of the designs into his bag, “Thank you for having me, Duchess Adelina.”

“You're welcome, Giorgio. When will the ring be ready by?” Mother looks enquiringly up at the designer.

“In five days, at the soonest.” The designer says, after a little counting on his fingers.

“Marvellous! Damon, please show our guest to the door.”

Damon bows gracefully, “This way, sir.”

They both leave the room, Damon guiding the way.

I take a seat beside Mother, who takes my hand in hers and looks towards Lady Elizabeth, “Elizabeth, soon we are going to be relatives. My daughter will be handed to you. She will no longer be the little girl I have been raising for the last seventeen years; she will be a wife and a daughter-in-law. I do not doubt you; I am simply a worried mother. Please promise to protect my daughter and take care of her?”