Chapter Seven

Dedicated to an old friend <3

My gown is black and made of chiffon silk. It has a sweetheart neckline and a choking bodice that squeezes my ribs. The skirt is long and trails slightly behind me. My hand is curled around Emmanuel's arm, who is dressed in smart evening wear.

Mary and Damon are rushing around, offering drinks and taking coats. My eyes linger after Damon, wanting to talk, wanting to end our argument but Mother has forbidden me to leave Emmanuel.

"Why, Eloise, you look absolutely ravishing!"

I turn to a beak-nosed, blonde-haired woman hanging off the arm of a haughty, eagle-eyed man. "Mrs Hall, thank you. Such a pleasure to see you here. How is Hank?"

"He's overseas on naval duties." Mrs Hall tells me, "And this is?" She fixes her beady eyes on Emmanuel.

"This is... my fiancée, Emmanuel. Emmanuel, this is Mrs Hall and her husband. They're royal blood, ninety-seventh in line for the throne. Is that right?" I look at Mrs Hall.

"Ninety-eighth, actually." She provides.

Emmanuel bows deeply, taking her hand and kissing it, "Pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." Mrs Hall titters.

"I have just spotted Reginald. Come with me." Mr Hall drags his wife away rather protectively.

Emmanuel turns to me, unaffected, "How are you finding the evening?"

"Tedious." I reply sharply, avoiding Emmanuel's gaze. I look around the congested room, trying to separate faces, remember which ones are 'important' and which ones are 'commoners', as Mother calls them.

"Stop being so ungracious!" Emmanuel hisses in my ear.

I pull my arm away, staring up at him as I snap, "I'd rather be ungracious than be a liar!"

"Eloise!" says my mother in a sing-song voice. She waits until she's close to me to utter in my ear, "You brat! Stop misbehaving right now. If you say another word out of turn, I will slap you in front of everybody."

With that, Mother stalks away to be a 'good' host to the guests.

"Whatever, Mother." I mumble to myself.

Emmanuel sighs sharply, "Eloise, would you like something to drink?"

"No." I reply, smiling warmly at someone as they walk past, "Just leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you."

"Why?" Emmanuel asks, genuinely shocked.

"Because of you, my best friend is not talking to me. For the first time ever, he's doubting our friendship. And I hate you for that, you hear me? I hate you."

Emmanuel grabs my arm roughly and drags me out into the garden, far away from all the guests. "What did you say?" He asks through gritted teeth.

"I hate you. I didn't want to be married to you and I still don't want to be married to you. I don't like you, Emmanuel." I snap spitefully at him.

"You don't have to like me." says Emmanuel, holding my forearm in a vice-like grip. I can feel bruises springing up under his touch. I squirm uncomfortably, to no avail. "You don't have to like me. You just have to be my wife."

"Let me go!" I hiss, "Let me go before I scream."

"Scream! Go on, do it. I'll just say shadows scared you." Emmanuel shrugs, staring into my eyes, right down into my soul. For the first time ever, I actually feel afraid of Emmanuel.