26: "ilovecarrots"

Forget about a long year, this is a long day...

I was freaking out after school. There were a lot of reasons, I'm sure, for me to be freaking out, but this one was easily killing me.

My phone was gone.

"When'd you last have it with you?" Oliver and I happened to also have our last class, English, together, and he was being all nice and sweet and helping me search for my phone. The class was empty, save for the two of us. I was down on all fours, searching the floor.

"You know that's the worst possible question you could ask, right?" I couldn't help but sound bitter; I needed my phone and there was no way my mother would buy me another one.

"Sorry, I just thought it'd help jog your memory," Oliver answered. Normally, I'd tease him, call him cute or sweet or something, but I wasn't in the mood, at all.

Suddenly, I heard a whistle. "Nice butt," someone said. I squeaked and scrambled to my feet, pressing my hands flatly against the bum of my pants.

"Hey, it's Kaito's friend!" Oliver said. I scowled at Yuma and turned away, not wanting him to see the shade of my cheeks.

"Why'd you have to say that?" I snapped, looking back at the pink haired teen. He shrugged.

"You don't want me to compliment you?"

"That wasn't a compliment."

"Yes it was."

 I rolled my eyes, not wanting to continue.

"What're you looking for?" He asked. 

"Gumi's phone," Oliver said. I nodded. Yuma reached into his pocket and pulled out a phone. It looked exactly like mine. It was mine.

"This?" He smiled. I ran up to him and he held it high in the air, out of my reach. 

"Y-Yeah, that's it," I said. "Can I have it? Where'd you find it, anyway?"

"You left it lying on your desk earlier today," he said. I reached towards it but he spun around. "I'm glad I found it, you know. I had been meaning to look at your photos..."

"Yuma, give me my phone..." I said, turning to look at Oliver. "Tell him to give it back!"

"Okay!" Oliver nodded and looked at the boy. "Give Gumi her phone back, please."

"Just a sec," Yuma said, walking out of the classroom. I grabbed my backpack and followed him down the hall.

"It's password protected," I said as I pulled my bag on, hurrying after him. "There's no way you got in."

He laughed at me. "The password? You mean 'ilovecarrots'? I figured that out a while ago. I just need to text myself some of these shots from your sleepover."

"Stop!" I grabbed his arms and pulled. His back hit the wall and he held the phone over his head, grinning as he worked his fingers against the keyboard madly.

"Let's see...I'll send three at a time..."

I groaned loudly, frustrated. "Stop it!"

"Ha, you're so flustered!" He broke out into laughter and I gaped at him, open-mouthed. He held the phone in front of me and I took it. "I was just kidding around. Didn't even unlock it, you know..." He snickered, bringing a hand to his face. "I was bluffing about the password, but I guess that's it, mm? That's when I realized that this was getting serious."

"J-Jerk," I mumbled, unlocking my phone and going through it. He put his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall.

"Sorry," he half-laughed. "But really, I just found it on your desk. You ran out of class and Kaito even tried calling your name."