16: Wounded Connection

Night. I was lying in bed, my arm over my eyes. My chest ached. I kept thinking about Len. Had I let him slip out of my grasp? Why did it hurt?

I didn't call Miku, or Len, or anyone, for that matter. In fact, I left my phone off. I had left school late, so that I wouldn't run into anyone, not even Kaito. I wanted to know what was going on but I also needed some time alone, just to think about what had happened that day.

Rin was hurt. Kaito was gloomy. I could've kissed him. Thinking about what could've happened made me feverish. Then Len had shown up, completely distraught, venting out on me and Kaito. He was jealous, he said. He loved me, he said. I didn't love him. That was what I had said. Then why did it hurt to see him with Miku? Because they were both my best friends? Because I didn't see it happening? Because Miku never told me that she liked him?

The next morning, as I walked to school, I held my Science binder open in front of me, my eyes scanning my notes. I had to start studying, regardless of whatever was going on around me. It was hard, though. I kept thinking about Len, and him and Miku, and then Kaito.

"You're starting early," the voice behind me wasn't Len or Miku, or Gakupo. It was Oliver. He walked alongside me, peering at my notes. "They're a lot neater than mine, Gumi."

I tried to smile. "Do you think we could study together?"

"Sure," he nodded. "Say, where were you yesterday, after school? We spent twenty minutes looking for you."

Guilt hit me like a kick to the stomach. "I...I was...in the bathroom," I lied.

"We missed you," he said.

"How's Len?" I asked.

"His sister, you mean? He says she's better but it's not looking too great with his parents. Did he tell you?"

"Tell me? About Rin?"

Oliver shook his head. "I guess he wouldn't have gotten a chance, he's been so tied up with Rin...he's going out with Miku."

So it was actually happening. I blinked furiously. Why was I about to cry?

"R-Really?" I asked, swallowing and trying to get rid of the lump in my throat.

"Yeah. From what I heard, Miku had been meaning to tell him for a while now. She saw him sitting alone yesterday and talked to him, eventually telling him."

"Oh," I nodded. "I haven't spoken t-to Miku or anyone yet."

"Well, I'm sure you'll see her today," Oliver grinned. "What class d'you have?"

"Accounting," I mumbled, not really paying attention to him, which was rude of me. I couldn't help it, though.

"With Gakupo, right? I'll drop you off."

We walked upstairs and said goodbye outside my classroom. Nobody was there yet but the door was open, so I walked in and got into my seat, pulling out my notes and putting my head down.

Len said he loved me, then why did he take Miku? Did he love her, too? Was it because...

I sensed the tears coming back.

What's wrong with me? I never used to cry this often...

"You asleep?" Gakupo dropped his backpack onto the table, jolting me. I sat up straight and glared at him.

"You idiot!" I yelled. "Do you have to bother me all the time?"

He frowned, eyes wide. "Geez, I didn't think your anger issues would become so apparent overnight..." He mumbled as he pulled out his chair.