21: Visiting the Kagamines

My father left for work again on Sunday night. We hugged and said our goodbyes, after which my mom went straight to bed and I headed up to my room.

"I've gotten so used to your father not being at home, sometimes I find it strange, having him for company," she mumbled sleepily before going to her room. "You're going to Len's home tomorrow, right? Tell me before you leave."

I was lying in bed, staring at my bedside clock. It read something around half past ten. I felt exhausted and sick to my stomach, but I didn't know why. My notebook was lying next to me, open to the page where I had written my stupid poem about the colour blue.

My inspiration is so obvious.

I picked up my pencil and started scribbling in the margin, scrawling an stylized profile of Kaito. I gritted my teeth and crossed it out. I picked up my phone, not expecting, but kind of wanting, new messages.

No new messages.

I scrolled through Naoki's last messages. I wasn't sure how to reply to them, or even if I should be replying to them. Who knew who he was? I had even searched Gakupo, like he had said, and he was right. There were lots of pictures of Gakupo online.

"What kind of a name is Naoki, anyway?" I mumbled. "There's nobody in our school with that name...but he did say it was a fake name..."

I opened our conversation and started to type.

Gumi: it's okay. Don't be sorry. I freaked out a bit too much.

That was all I wrote. I was too afraid that I'd end up saying more than I needed to, but Naoki filled in the blank within minutes of my reply being sent.

Naoki: are you sure? I feel really bad right now.

Gumi: I'm sure, spammer. ^_^

Naoki: ...you're not acting like yourself.

Gumi: I am, more than before. How are you?

Naoki: a little under the weather, actually.

Gumi: that sounds horrible.

Naoki: I just got so excited when you replied to my messages on Friday.

Gumi: why?

Naoki: I had a new person to talk to. I haven't spoken to anyone interesting in months.

Gumi: I'm interesting?

Naoki: all females are.

Gumi: ugh...are you always like this?

Naoki: yes.

Gumi: well...I need to go now. I just wanted to reply to your message from the other day.

Naoki: you thought I wouldn't actually stop texting you, huh?

Gumi: how did you know?

Naoki: it was obvious, to me, anyway. And you're curious. You didn't just let me disappear. You replied. You wanted me to come back.

Gumi: you're kind of obnoxious, Naoki. Anyway, good night.

Naoki: later.

Gumi: I still want to know who you really are.

Naoki: good luck with that. ;)

Morning came and I woke up around ten. My mother was still fast asleep. I showered and got changed, grabbed a carrot and munched on it. I gently woke my mom and informed her that I was leaving, and then I was out the door.

It only took me about twenty minutes to get to the twins' upper class neighbourhood, probably because it was an odd time as well as a weekday. I always felt a little out of place in their area, no matter how many times I walked down the clean streets and past the large, lavish homes.