11: Free Ice Cream and Her Number

Len was feeling a lot better by the end of school on Monday, and Tuesday came by pretty quickly. I had just gotten off the bus when someone hooked an arm around my neck yanked me to one side, making me cry out with surprise. I crashed into the person's side and he laughed.

"Good morning!" He beamed. I looked up at him, my eyes lighting up just because of the smile on his face. I laughed and pushed him to one side playfully.

"You're acting more like normal, Len!" I grinned. He pinched my cheeks and then dragged me across the street like a rag doll. I giggled and gladly let him do as he pleased.

"My mom came back," he said, pulling me with him towards the school. "She came back last night, around midnight. I was in the kitchen, getting a banana and a glass of milk when she walked in, looking exhausted and absolutely beat. She dropped her things and stumbled up to me, suddenly hugging me and crying.

"She held me so tightly that I felt suffocated, almost. Then she suddenly let me go and started stroking my hair...Gumi, it was so...I can't...and then she kissed me a couple of times before running upstairs. I followed her, running after her, as she barged into Rin's room and embraced her."

"What about your dad?" I asked.

"They didn't talk about it," Len replied. "They're talking and stuff. It's kind of awkward between them but at least they're not arguing."

"It'll be fine," I grinned. "Didn't I tell you that, Len? She cares about you. They both do."

"Yeah, I guess," Len nodded. "Gumi, you're awesome, I swear."

"Hmm," I crossed my arms and my voice took on a fake, pompous tone. "Yes, yes, of course I am!"

He smacked my back hard and I yelped. He laughed and grabbed my head, giving me a noogie. It felt good, being with him like this felt nice. I didn't want things to change between us.

"Come on, let me drop you off today," he said, leading me into the school. We headed upstairs to my classroom.

"Exams are in a few weeks," I groaned as I thought about Accounting and Science. He patted my back.

"There isn't an exam for Accounting, right?" He asked. I shook my head.

"But for Science, there is," I mumbled.

"You'll do fine," he said. "Oliver's in your science class, isn't he? You should study with him."

"He's much better than me," I mused.

"He's okay," Len said. "I can't really say. He's getting a decent mark, that's all I know."

I groaned. "That's good enough for me..."

We saw Gakupo standing outside my class. He waved to us and I scowled. He acted melodramatically, raising a hand to his heart and gasping, falling back. Len shook his head disapprovingly.

"Because of you two and mopey old Kaito, we had to play three against one," the purple haired teen pouted. "And I was paired up with Piko. That guy is seriously afraid of the basketball!"

"We'll play another day," Len said, gently pushing me towards my classroom's door. "Get in, you little carrot muncher!"

I giggled and waved to him. "Better get in before the bell rings, Gakupo!"

"Yeah, yeah!" Gakupo replied.

I was really happy that morning. I mean, sure, exams were coming up and Kaito still had a mob of fangirls who wanted him, but Len's mom was back and the relief was evident in his behaviour. Even Gakupo's constant teasing during class didn't faze me.