Domestic

George wasn't sure when he'd fallen asleep the night before. His mind had been swirling with unbidden thoughts he didn't wish to delve into but couldn't leave alone. When George finally fell asleep, the atmosphere was dismal.

When he woke up, however, it was warm and relaxed in a way that had George confused. He didn't bother changing out of his oversized shirt and short bed shorts, wandering towards the kitchen.

Halfway there, George was able to pick up the soft sounds of music and the smell of pancakes. It was a song that George recognised, except there seemed to be an extra vocalist in this version.

George rounded the corner into the kitchen and was greeted by a sight to behold. Clay, dressed in gray sweatpants and a white top, was dancing around the kitchen with George's cat in arm - singing to him. On the counter was a large plate of pancakes, one still cooking on the stove.

Before George had the chance to walk to the stove to take over, Clay placed the cat on the floor with a dramatic "one moment, my dear," and turned back to the stove. George couldn't hold back his giggle and Clay turned to him.

I have been blessed. Clay thought as he took in George's long, pale legs. "Good morning!" Clay announced happily, turning back to the stove to keep himself from staring.

"Are you trying to romance my poor cat?" George asked playfully as the tabby trotted over to rub against his legs. George leant to pet him happily, glancing to his food bowl.

"Why, you jealous?" Clay retorted with a wink and George rolled his eyes with a laugh, making his way to the cat's food bowl. "I couldn't find his food so I haven't fed him yet." George nodded in acknowledgment, leaning down to open his 'cat cupboard'. It was just the cupboard that he kept all of his cat's things in.

Clay almost choked when George's shirt rode up to show of his bed shorts. He might as well have been wearing boxers. Clay hurriedly turned back to the stove.

After George had fed the cat, he realised what song had come on and smiled, swaying slightly. Clay had finished making pancakes but had busied himself clearing up. He wasn't ready to let go of his distractions yet.

Eventually, Clay ran out of distractions. So he took a deep breath, grinned and rounded on George. George looked at him confused, one eyebrow raised.

"Dance with me, Georgie." Clay instructed, beginning to advance on George. George giggled nervously and raised his hands to ward Clay off but Clay took it as his chance. He grabbed George's hands and swung him around, forcing him to dance. George couldn't stop laughing and Clay was letting out little chuckles of his own.

When George finally started to follow Clay's mock-ballroom dance on his own, Clay calmed. He pulled George in marginally closer and let go of one of George's hands to rest his own on George's hip.

George was trying desperately not to overthink this as he placed his free hand on Clay's shoulder. He's probably doing this for fun. He probably acts like this with everyone. This is a joke. George thought.

Clay traced feather-soft circles into George's hand with his thumb. They were slowly swaying side to side by this point and Clay decided he wanted every morning to be like this. Except maybe he'd wake up a little later and not have to wear his mask.

As the song faded out, the two stopped swaying but neither let go. They simply stared, not wanted to break the spell they were under. George sighed and stepped back, pulling himself from Clay's hands.