Chapter 10

CHRIS POV

How stupid can I be? Why did I not connect the dots before? 

I can't lose Callie. Before her, I just went through the motions. Work hard, build my company, take care of Fiona. That was it. I didn't do anything for myself really. 

Callie makes my heart feel lighter. I feel like I am actually living, not sleepwalking through life. I wish I had told her all this before she found out about me and my cousins. Sure, I told her that I love her. But I didn't tell her what she actually means to me. 

I've been calling and pleading with her to hear me out. She won't respond. Not even to Fiona. Shit, she probably thinks Fiona knows. She must feel like we betrayed her. I decide to call Fiona again to see if she has heard from Callie yet.

"Hello?"

"Hey Fi."

"No, she hasn't called me back or text me yet. What is going on between you?" She demands.

"We should have been telling you this together..." I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"Tell me what Chris?!"

"Callie is my girlfriend." I blurted out. There was a long pause on her end. 

"How the freak did I not know?"

"Callie was nervous about telling you. She didn't want to hurt you or lose you."

"What kind of person does she think I am? Yeah, I'm a little hurt, but more so because both of you kept this from me." She sighs in frustration.

"I'm sorry Fi."

"So what did you do?" she asks accusingly.

"What?"

"Why is Callie upset? What did you do?"

"Umm." I stall. This is my kid sister but also my right hand man. We are pretty much open books between the two of us. Well, except for my huge, horrible secret. Hell, what do I have to lose? I tell Fiona everything. She listens silently the whole time. I'm not sure what to think. I don't want to disappoint her too. When I finally finish, Fiona speaks.

"Why did you protect them? Why didn't you tell anyone? Maybe Dad could've done something..."

"Fiona." I say sternly to reel her back in, "I didn't want to involve you guys. The police would have arrested me whether or not they believed me. And honestly, I was scared shit-less."

"I wish you never did it, but I understand why. Just know if I were there with you right now, I'd smack you on the back of your head." She says jokingly, but I know that she is serious.

"I don't know how to fix this. I'm so stupid for not realizing that both incidents were the same. I'm stupid for not telling anyone. I fucked up." I say, fighting the urge to cry.

"I love her, Fi. I am in love with Callie." I take a deep breath, like saying it out loud took a weight off my shoulders.

"Wow. You're really serious about her." 

"I am Fiona. She's amazing."

"I'm glad you found someone that can keep your bull headed self in check. You better make this up to her Chris."

"I know." I say, taking a teary breath.

"Chris! She's calling me now. I'll call you back." she says and ends the call.

Callie called Fiona. That's a good sign. I hope she'll be willing to talk to me soon.

-----

Fiona POV

I listened quietly as Chris told me about him being involved in the robbery that killed Callie's dad. It was shocking when he told me they were dating, but that was pushed aside by the shock that my brother was involved in such a horrible thing. He's never done anything bad really. He grew up kind of fast. But I know our cousins are scums, and I believe Chris when he says he felt he had no choice. Now Callie is hurt by it. She probably thinks that I knew. I hope she talks to me soon, and believes me when I tell her that I just found out.

My prayers are answered as Callie's call comes in. I hang up with Chris and hastily answer.

"Callie, I am so happy you called me." 

"Hello." she says awkwardly.

"Chris called me and told me what happened. I can't believe that shit. But you gotta know he was basically forced to do it, you know he is a good..." I ramble until Callie cuts me off.

"Did you know?" 

I know exactly what she is talking about so I waste no time in answering.

"No. I swear. Chris didn't tell anyone. The only reason I found out is because he is so worried about you."

"So you know about us?" She asks.

"Yes."

"And you're fine with it?"

"Yeah Callie. You're my best friend. I was shocked at first, mostly because I couldn't believe you both were able to keep it from me. But honestly, I couldn't think of anyone better to take care of my pigheaded brother." I say and Callie lightly laughs,

"I promise I didn't know Callie. I am so sorry, for everything." I say with as much conviction as I can convey. 

"I believe you." she says quietly. 

"Thank God. I don't think I could live without you. I've only known you a few months, but you are my best-est friend. Like, Friendship bracelet level." Callie laughs a real laugh at that sentiment.

"Are you gonna talk to him?" I ask gently.

"My mom says I should hear him out. But I can't help but think that maybe this is all part of aplan so that I wouldn't find out or press charges. He always seemed so genuine, but I just don't know what to think." she confesses.

"He told me he loves you, that he's in love with you. He was crying Callie. Don't tell him I know that, but I heard the sniffles." I say.

I can't help but feel like I need to keep them together. It's all so new, but I know they care about each other, otherwise they wouldn't have kept it a secret for so long.

"Thank you." She says, after a hearty laugh.

"Your welcome Callie. Your mom sounds like a smart women. I'd talk to him. Whenever your ready, I know he will be."

"Goodnight Fiona."

Goodnight Callie."

------

*A/N: It took forever to update! But I got a little discouraged. I read so many amazing stories on here and I feel like I could never write like that. I know my stuff is mediocre at best. But I know that if I don't start somewhere that I'll never improve, or even figure out if this is something I could continue doing. So if you're still with me, thank you. Please comment if you like it. Heck, even if you don't. Bring on the feedback! 

If you like it then you shoulda put a star on it

Also, check out my fave series, Trouble & Haunted by Katie Milligan Carns. She has other great work as well.