Chapter 7

AN: ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE?!

(It's better if you don't question my nonsense...) :D

--------------------------------

Thankfully, Fiona hasn't seem to notice anything between Chris and I. We do our best to not flirt or be touchy in front of her. But it is a little hard when you constantly feel a pull towards a person. As much as I want to be near Chris, I'm glad I won't be seeing him for a couple of weeks. I need a clear head. I still feel guilty as hell about seeing Fiona's brother behind her back.

I was working up the courage to talk to her, but with her just losing her dad... you know where I'm going with this. She is doing a lot better now but I don't think she can handle anymore upset. Then I start thinking, the world does not revolve around you, Callie. Get your head out of your ass. The world has bigger problems then your melodrama.

Man, my head could be a dangerous place with all these thoughts.

My phone ringing brings me to the present. I look at the screen and see that it is my mom.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby, how are you?" my mom gushes.

"Oh, you know, the usual. Papers about papers and then another paper about the process of writing those papers. My anatomy and physiology lab is pretty cool though."

"That's so good to hear. I'm so proud of you."

"I know mom." I roll my eyes but smile.

"I did want to talk to you about something. The detective thinks they might have a lead on who..." She pauses for a moment, "On who shot your father."

"That's awesome!"

"Yes honey, but they want you to come in and take a look at some pictures. I know it's been awhile..."

"I'll do it." I cut her off.

We make plans for her to come get me tomorrow and hang up. Fiona isn't here right now, so I call Chris.

"Hello?" He answers.

"Hey, can you talk?" I ask.

"Sure."

"So umm, they might have found who killed my dad. I'm going to the police station tomorrow to talk with them." I rush out excitedly.

"Tomorrow?" Chris asks, his voice breaking at the end. He clears his throat.

"Yes." I say slowly.

"That's great news. Right?" Chris seems unsure.

"Yes! I've been waiting for this. Those assholes are going to pay."

Chris starts coughing. I ask him if he's alright. He assures me that he is fine but that he has to go. I can't help but feel a little disappointed, but I know he can get very busy. So I let it go.

The next day, I put on some black dress pants, a peach colored blouse and some black flats. This is a big day for me. I make sure to pack a bag with a change of clothes and necessities. I am going to stay with my mom tonight. I give Fiona a big hug and she wishes me good luck. I filled her in when she returned last night.

Now, my mom and I are headed to the police station. We greet Detective Anderson, she's been on my dad's case since the beginning. Even though it has been going on two years, she keeps her ears open for any info that might relate. I'm pretty sure she has a family herself, maybe that's why she hasn't given up.

My mom waits in the lobby while I am escorted to an empty meeting room. Detective Anderson motions for me to have a seat. She takes the seat across from me, in front of a folder.

"Okay, Callie. I have some pictures from a traffic camera not too far from the gas station. They are a little grainy, but the car matches the one seen in the surveillance video."

I take the pictures she has given me. It's the same picture, at different distances. There are 3 men in the car, none of them are wearing masks. I move to the next picture, focusing on one person at a time. My heart speeds up as I recognize the jacket of one of the men. I want to be sure before I say anything, so I move to the next guy. He looks like he has a hat or something in his hand. Or a ski mask. My eyes move to the third guy and the world slows down. I'm drawn first to the wavy blonde hair. My eyes settle on his face and there is no mistaking it. The person driving the car...

It's Chris.

------------------

AN: A shorter chapter and cliff hanger? All in a day's work.