Chapter 4

AN: Alright ppl, this is where it gets "mature".

Chapter 4 

I didn't tell Chris that tomorrow is my dad's birthday. I have people that care about me and understand (like my mom and Fiona), I just don't want to talk to either of them about it. I do not want to be sad. Chris understands me and I know he'll take my lead on how to act tomorrow. He is always so good at giving me space yet being there for me. My heart quickened thinking about him and seeing him tomorrow. This time from excitement and not guilt. I kind of like this feeling, so I decided I would let myself enjoy his company- guilt and sorrow be damned.

I decide to wait outside my dorm for Chris. Fiona is busy with volleyball so I figure it would be safe to get picked up here. I hear a car coming and look up to see Chris at the curb. I break out in a cheesy grin and he returns it. He hops out and meets me on the way to his car.

"You are beautiful." He says, embracing me in a hug.

I melt into him and as he holds me tight. I missed this.

"Thank you." I say into his chest before releasing him.

"Shall we?" Chris grins, walking me to his car and opening the door for me.

We drive about an hour towards Chris's house. Our silence is comfortable, although the threat of our upcoming conversation looms in the air. Missing his touch, I put my hand on his thigh. We ride the rest of the way to his house like that, chit chatting about school and his job.

I momentarily forget what day it is until we pass a store with the same name as the one my dad was shot at. I wipe back tears, trying to remain calm.  I am taken back to the moments while I waited on the ambulance to arrive.

"Callie," my father says drowsily, from loss of blood, "Being your dad is the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"You are the best dad. Once we get you patched up, I'll buy you another 'World's Greatest Dad' mug to add to your collection." I try to joke about the father day mugs he collected over the years, refusing to accept that he won't pull through. I look down at the shirt that I'm using to apply pressure to his wound. I see blood soaking through the shirt and do my best to add more pressure, but I can tell it's not enough.

Right before the paramedics burst in, I kiss my dad on the cheek and tell him I love him for what would turn out to be the last time.

I'm back in Chris's car trying to fight the tears filling my eyes. My attempts are futile as my shoulders start to shake from holding in the sobs. Chris turns his head slightly to look at me and his eyes widen. He steers the car off the road and looks at me with concern.

"Callie what's wrong?"

My chest is tight, and I can't get any words out. I try to quiet my sobs and take deep breaths. Something is touching the top of my hand. I look down and see Chris's thumb making soothing circles. My sobs start to soften.

"It's my dad's birthday," I choke out, "and we just passed the kind of store where he was... where...where it happened."

Chris unbuckles his seatbelt and leans over, pushing my head into his chest. He rubs my back and holds me until my sobs quieted.

"I wish you would've told me." He says softly.

"I didn't want to be sad today." I say, digging tissues out of my purse.

"I don't blame you," Chris says, "I got tired of being sad when my mom died. Lucky for you I am skilled in cheering people up."

His cheeky grin was infectious, and I couldn't help but laugh, "Then what are we waiting for?"